Mariinsky Palace, Kiev
Mykhaila Hrushevs'koho street, 5, Kiev, Kyiv city, Ukraine
Mariinsky Palace. It was built in 1755 by order of Empress Elizabeth, daughter of Peter the Great. Throughout its long history of the palace was repeatedly reconstructed. Extensive reconstruction was carried out in 1870 after a great fire that destroyed a wooden second floor and all the front of the room.. The first royal special, stay at the Mariinsky Palace, was Catherine II, who visited Kiev in 1787. Here she took the Venezuelan politician, Francisco Miranda, the future liberator of the Spanish colonial system. In the late eighteenth - early nineteenth centuries the palace was the residence of the governors-general of Kiev province. During the Civil War, the Mariinsky Palace was used as a military headquarters. In the second half of the twentieth century, the building belonged to the agricultural school, and later became a museum. Today it serves as the ceremonial residence of the President of Ukraine. There are solemn state events - rewarding, receptions, presentation of credentials by foreign ambassadors, summits and meetings of official delegations at the highest level..