The first stop on our journey - the Orthodox Monastery of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra. It is the oldest and one of the most important monasteries in Russia. The complex of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra includes a complex of religious buildings and caves.. History of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra began in 1051, when a monk Antony settled in these places, dug in on a hillside cave. He was soon joined by like-minded people who have started to widen the caves, and later, when the underground not house all brothers - to construct overground buildings. It comes from the caves and the name of the monastery, and the "laurel" - a status that received large and influential monasteries. Since the seventies the eleventh century monastery intensive construction, were built Assumption Cathedral, Trinity Church and refectory. It was founded the first printing house in Russia.. The greatest interest in the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra caves are. It is a system of underground corridors, consisting of two parts - Near and Far. Length of the Near Caves - 383 meters, Far - 293 meters. First, in caves inhabited by monks who dedicated their lives to prayer. Later it began to bury dead settlers monastery. In the Near and Far Caves Monastery are the relics of the saints, as the abbey and burial lay there, for example, the tomb of Peter Stolypin.. On the territory of Kiev-Pechersk Lavra are many churches and museums. Today the Reserve Kiev-Pechersk Lavra - the largest museum complex in Ukraine, which occupies the territory of 23 hectares, where it is concentrated 144 buildings and structures, 122 of whom - the monuments of history and culture.. This unique monastery complex, included in the UNESCO World Culture Heritage. More than 43 million tourists from all over the world have visited its territory during its existence..
National Museum "Memorial to the victims of famines in Ukraine". This is a memorial complex dedicated to the tragedy of the Holodomor, the Ukrainian people that survived in the days of the Soviet regime. According to the latest data, the number of deaths from starvation was about 3.9 million people.. The museum is part of the memorial and halls of memory, and that the function of the museum. The central composition of the memorial - the bell tower, made in the form of a white candle with gold-plated filigree flame.. In the space of a memorial candle, decorated with bronze cranes are a symbol of the revival of the nation, the museum itself is located. In the center of the room is a symbolic altar. Here everyone can light a candle, paying tribute to victims. The museum displays household items selyanstva the time, collected in the villages affected by the famine, and the book-martyrologies with the names of millions of victims.. The tour demonstrates two films about the causes, nature and consequences of famine.. At the exit of the museum, located on the slopes of the Dnieper alley "black boards", which lists the village, extinct from starvation, and those in which most of the population died.
Park of Eternal Glory Soldiers of the Great Patriotic War. This is one of the most famous memorials in Kiev, which is located in the center of Monument of Eternal Glory at the Tomb of Unknown Soldier, in memory of soldiers who died in World War II. The monument was opened on 6 November 1957 and is a 27 meter high obelisk. At the foot of the obelisk Eternal Fire. The obelisk is Avenue of Heroes, which transferred 35 military graves with Baikove Lukjanovsky and cemeteries, Askold's Tomb, with some of the parks and squares of the city, including one - the Unknown Soldier Lyutezhskogo springboard.
Arsenal square. It is located in the Pechersk district of Kiev. There was an area supposedly, in the XVIII century and was called St. Nicholas. From 1919 to 1964, the area was called the Revolution, from 1964 to 1991 - the area of "Heroes Arsenal". The modern name of course in 1991.. In the center of the square stands a monument to the workers of the plant "Arsenal". In January 1918, with the support of the soldiers factory workers rose in revolt directed against the Central Rada, which ended in the defeat and death of many workers who participated in the battles. Arsenaltsev monument was erected in 1923 to the fifth anniversary of the uprising. It is a gun, which was used in the fighting insurgent workers hoisted on a pedestal of red granite quarried stone. These stones were on the set in 1914 and demolished in 1917, the monument colonels Iskra and Kochubey. The events of those days resembles another attraction of the Arsenal area - the case of the factory "Arsenal" on the walls of which are still visible numerous bullet holes.. Arsenal square - interesting place and one of the main hubs for tourists arriving on Pechersk. Arsenal Tube station - the nearest to the many attractions of Kiev, including the Mariinsky Park, the Park of Glory, the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, the Memorial to the victims of the famine and the memorial of the Great Patriotic War.
Central Museum of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. It opened its doors in June 1998. The museum is housed in the House of officers, which was built in 1932. The museum presents the history of military forces and military operations on the territory of Ukraine from the Stone Age to the present day. Among the exhibits - the weapon form, documents and photographs, banners, awards, and recreated figures of famous military leaders, including the Scythian king Athey, Kiev prince Svyatoslav, and Hetman Danylo Galitsky Zaporozhye troops, military leader and statesman - Bogdan Khmelnitsky. In 2010, the Central Museum of the Armed Forces of Ukraine granted national status and renamed it to the National Museum of Military History of Ukraine..
Sports Palace - this is the largest indoor sports and entertainment facilities in Ukraine and one of the major concert venues, which regularly hosts concerts of Ukrainian and world stars. For many years the palace under his roof held 16 world championships, 30 European championships, 42 of the USSR championship, 30 Eurocup, 440 tournaments of the Grand Prix, 210 exhibitions and fairs, more than 4,000 concerts, various seminars and conferences on various topics, and . In 2005, the Stadium hosted the song contest Eurovision 2005. In 2009, there was a children's musical Junior Eurovision Song Contest. Sports Palace was opened on December 9, 1960. After that, he was repeatedly reconstructed. Today the Palace of Sports is a high, multi-dimensional structure, popular among athletes, business people, performers and tourists.
National sports complex "Olympic" - a multi-purpose sports arena for football matches and athletics events, culture and entertainment, and any other events. The eponymous stadium complex is the main sports arena of Ukraine and one of the biggest stadiums in Europe. The stadium is the largest in Ukraine and the second in terms of capacity in the CIS after the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow. The stadium seating 70,000 seats. "Olympic" is the main venue of the home matches of the national football team of Ukraine, and in 2012 again became the home arena of the Kiev football club "Dynamo". On the football field of the National sports complex "Olympic" Olympic football matches and eightieth year, and in 2012 - and the final closing of the European Football Championship. The stadium also hosts concerts of stars, light shows and public meetings.
Lev Tolstoy Square emerged in the second half of the XIX century. In 1891, she was named Karavaevskoy in honor of the fiftieth anniversary of the University of the famous scientist and physician Vladimir Karavayeva. In 1939 the area was renamed the Leo Tolstoy. One of the first known structures of the area has room Michaelson, better known as Karavaevskaya Bath. Institution worked since 1877 at his home of a merchant Frederick Michelson. Bath distinguished for its purity, for which he was recognized as the sanitary commission of one of the best in the city. Fully built up area beginning in the late XIX century. One of the first major structures that have appeared here, became the home of Leo Bender. Lucrative home of the famous wine merchant Kiev was built in 1899 by architect Vladislav Gorodetsky. During the construction of the house was the tallest residential building in Kiev. In the postwar period in the area have been significant restructuring. House Bender was overhauled, so that the main facade of the building was heavily simplified, and to this day he has lost architectural appeal. In 1981, the square has opened a new subway station, and the building in which the ground out of the station, was placed electronic computing center of the Kiev Metro. In the eighties of the last century was demolished house Michaelson, and in its place was eventually built one of the first in Kiev business centers - "Kiev-Donbass"..
Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University - one of the largest and one of the oldest universities of Ukraine, the National Center for Science and Culture. He founded the eighth in November 1833 as the Kiev Imperial University of St. Vladimir on the orders of Emperor Nicholas I.. This type of university research, the leading modern scientific and educational center of Ukraine. The high status of university research is supported by numerous victories scientists - University employees whose achievements are marked by various State Prize of Ukraine in Science and Technology, medals and honorary titles.
The National Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet Theatre of Ukraine named after Taras Shevchenko - the largest musical theater in Ukraine.. The first permanent Kiev Opera Company, established in 1867, initially working in the premises of the City Theatre, built in 1856 by architect Strom. It has become one of the best in the Russian Empire, along with theaters in Moscow and St. Petersburg. In February 1896 there was a fire completely destroyed the building of the Municipal Theater, followed by a competition to design a new building. This competition was won by Russian project architect Viktor Schröter. Opera house was built in 1901. The external appearance of the building and decoration of the admiration. Four tiers, first floor, the amphitheater and the Opera House orchestra seating capacity of over 1,600 guests.. In 1988, the Kiev Opera House was renovated. The result has been increased in size and number of stage for rehearsals and dressing rooms, orchestra pit capacity was increased to 100 musicians. Also, the old organ was replaced by a new. Room equipped with the latest lighting and electronic equipment.. Today, the National Opera of Ukraine continues to be one of the most famous scenes of ballet and opera in Europe, along with the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow and the Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg..
Hagia Sophia - the most famous and majestic cathedral of the ancient temples of Eastern Europe, a world-famous architectural masterpiece of fresco painting and mosaic art. The foundation of St. Sophia Cathedral - the largest building of the then Duke of Kiev Yaroslav laid in 1037. According to tradition, the cathedral was built on the spot where Yaroslav the Wise won a decisive victory over the Pechenegs. This was the main church of Kievan Rus' princes were crowned here on the throne of Kiev. Hagia Sophia served not only religious, but also a social function. Here taken embassies of other countries. He was an active church until 1929. In 1934, at the Sofia farmstead organized architectural and historical reserve - now the National Forest Sofia Kiev. During its existence, the cathedral survived many attacks and robberies, and in 1180 he suffered a terrible fire.. On the walls of the cathedral survived world's most comprehensive ensemble of authentic mosaics and frescoes of the first half of the eleventh century, and significant fragments of wall paintings seventeenth-eighteenth centuries. The cathedral and its territory is about 100 graves, including the grave of Vladimir Monomakh and Yaroslav the Wise. In 1990, the Hagia Sophia, as well as the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, the first landmark building in Ukraine, a UNESCO World Heritage Site..
St. Michael's Cathedral - one of the most beautiful monasteries in Kiev. It is located on St. Michael's Square. The Cathedral is dedicated to the archangel Michael, who is considered to be the protector and patron of Kiev. That cathedral, which we see now rebuilt and opened in 1999. The old cathedral was built in the twelfth century by the order of the grandson of Prince Yaroslav the Wise Svjatopolka Izyaslavich in place Demetrius monastery built by his father allegedly - Izyaslavom first (Christian Dmitry). Unfortunately, when the Soviet government in 1937, it was demolished to clear space for the government quarter. It is assumed that Michael's Cathedral was the first temple with a gilded horse in Russia.. Glory of St. Michael's Cathedral brought his mosaics and frescoes. When demolishing the cathedral, the majority of frescoes and mosaics were removed from Kiev to Russia, and some moved to the St. Sophia Cathedral in Kiev. Between 2001 and 2004, the cathedral was returned murals, which were kept in the Hermitage in St. Petersburg.. The main shrine of the monastery of St. Michael, in the old times attracted thousands of pilgrims from everywhere, the relics of St. Barbara. Saint Barbara, born in the third century of a wealthy nobleman, enlighten Christian teaching and renounced paganism. She did not give the Christian faith even under torture, and was executed by his father. The relics of St. Barbara in the early sixties of the last century are buried in the Vladimir Cathedral. Currently, St. Michael's Cathedral - one of the main temples of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kyiv Patriarchate.. On the square in front of St. Michael's Cathedral is a monument to Princess Olga. She was the first to adopt Christianity before the baptism of Rus. On either side of it are figures of St. Andrew and St. Cyril and Methodius. The park is located behind the cathedral "Vladimir Hill" from the top station of the cable car and the famous monument to St. Vladimir the Baptist..
Independence Square is the central square of Kiev, this is where the most important events take place not only the city but the whole of Ukraine. For example, in 2004 the area became the venue for the Orange Revolution.. Until the tenth century the area around the current area called Perevesischem and was a swamp. The area on the site was created in the thirties of the nineteenth century and was named Krecshatickaya - from the name of the street, to which it was attached. In 1876 there was built the City Council and the area was renamed to the Duma. Over the years, the Independence Square has repeatedly changed its name. In 1919 it was renamed the Soviet, and in 1935 - in the area of Kalinin. In 1977, the area again changed its name to the area of the October Revolution. Then, in the center was a monument to Vladimir Lenin and fountains.. His real name is Independence Square received after the proclamation of independence of Ukraine in 1991.. In 2001, she was a thorough remodel that completely changed her appearance. There are new monuments, sculptures and fountains. In the center was set high white tower, which is crowned by the figure of a girl with Kalinovoe branch in his hands, symbolizing the independence of Ukraine. Also on the square were rebuilt Lyadski gate, and they set the figure of the patron saint of Kiev Archangel Michael. Below the area built a large shopping center "Globus", which has become a popular destination not only for the inhabitants of Kiev and guests of the capital..
Khreschatyk - the central and most popular street among the citizens and guests of Kiev. It starts from the European area, runs through Independence Square and ends at the area of Bessarabia.. The street was created in the beginning of the XIX century. In 1892, on Khreschatyk was built first in the Russian Empire electric tram line. During World War II the center of Kiev burned completely, and suffered Khreschatyk. After the war the city center was rebuilt.. Khreschatyk is one of the most interesting streets in the city for tourists. From here visitors will most often fall into the heart of the city and the whole country - the central square of Kiev - Independence Square.. Independence Square and Khreschatyk can rightly be considered the heart of Kiev, as we easily get to most of the most important sights of the city. According to the Vladimir descent can reach the Postal Square, River Station and take a walk on Podil with its many temples, monuments and unique architectural complexes of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy. Be sure to get out of Khreschatyk and to the Golden Gate..
The National Philharmonic of Ukraine. The building was built as the Town Merchant meeting in 1882, the famous architect of Kiev Nikolaev, who was not only a talented architect, but also a good musician. He was able to design a pillared hall with excellent acoustics. Here there were fancy-dress balls, family celebrations, charitable lotteries, literary and musical evenings. Merchants meeting lasted until 1919. In 1923, in the house of the former Merchants Assembly was founded State Philharmonic. At the beginning of the war in 1941, the activities of the Kiev Philharmonic ceased, and the priceless archives were burned. During the occupation of the building siting of the German Officers' Club. After the war philharmonic reconvened. In the late eighties, the Philharmonic Hall was given the status of a landmark was completely renovated and equipped with modern technical equipment. Refurbished Column Hall of the National Philharmonic of Ukraine was opened to the public in December 1996. Today, the National Philharmonic of Ukraine continues to represent a broad range of different programs, including a full season of symphonic and chamber philharmonic orchestras, quartets guitarists and accordionists, bandura trio, chamber and folk ensembles of the National Philharmonic of Ukraine. Under the patronage of the Philharmonic hosts international competitions and festivals.
National Parliamentary Library of Ukraine is the leading state, cultural, educational and scientific institution information. This is a public institution with universal in content foundations serving the general population. Library set up the third in March 1866 by order of the king's government as Kievan Russian Public Library. The basis of the fund have a private library of the writer and publisher Barshchevsky and donations Kiev. At the opening of the library consisted of 319 books and 43 sets of periodicals.. Today, it is the oldest Kiev construction of such appointment and included in the list of monuments of architecture of the early twentieth century. The National Diet Library is subordinate to the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Ukraine. She heads the national library system of the state, is methodical and focal point for the Library, bibliografoznavstva, dokumentoznavstva, and also participates in the formulation of public policy in the sector of librarianship and its implementation..
National Art Museum of Ukraine - the largest art museum in the country. It began its history in 1899 and was originally called the Kiev Art and Industry and the Science Museum of Emperor Nicholas II. The museum's collection is the most extensive and complete collection of Russian art. Its funds currently total about 40,000 items, including - Ukrainian and foreign masterpieces of painting, sculpture and graphics from the Kievan Rus' to the present day. The museum houses one of the finest collections of icons in Ukraine. Extremely valuable as a collection of Ukrainian Baroque art - paintings, icons, collection of polychrome sculpture, early printed books. Also in the museum are the classic examples of painting of the nineteenth century, the Ukrainian avant-garde, modernism paintings period of the twentieth - twenty-first centuries.. The building of the National Art Museum of Ukraine holds regular exhibitions of contemporary artists of Ukraine, won recognition at home and abroad..
House of the Government of Ukraine. The building was erected in 1938 and originally was called the House of the Council of People's Commissars of the USSR. There was the highest executive and administrative organ of the republican government of the USSR. On 25 March 1946 the building was renamed the House of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR. Since 1991, there is located Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine - the supreme body of executive power in Ukraine. Head of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Prime Minister, who is appointed by the President of Ukraine with the consent of a majority of deputies of the Verkhovna Rada..
House of the Supreme Council of Ukraine. The building was built in 1939 by architect Vladimir Zabolotnoho and is used for meetings of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, which is the legislative body of the state.
Mariinsky Palace. It was built in 1755 by order of Empress Elizabeth, daughter of Peter the Great. Throughout its long history of the palace was repeatedly reconstructed. Extensive reconstruction was carried out in 1870 after a great fire that destroyed a wooden second floor and all the front of the room.. The first royal special, stay at the Mariinsky Palace, was Catherine II, who visited Kiev in 1787. Here she took the Venezuelan politician, Francisco Miranda, the future liberator of the Spanish colonial system. In the late eighteenth - early nineteenth centuries the palace was the residence of the governors-general of Kiev province. During the Civil War, the Mariinsky Palace was used as a military headquarters. In the second half of the twentieth century, the building belonged to the agricultural school, and later became a museum. Today it serves as the ceremonial residence of the President of Ukraine. There are solemn state events - rewarding, receptions, presentation of credentials by foreign ambassadors, summits and meetings of official delegations at the highest level..
Mariinsky Park - one of the most popular and romantic parks in Kiev. It is a reminder of the unique landscape art of the past. The park was founded in 1874 on the project Nedzelskogo gardener.. The most famous place in Mariinsky Park - Bridge of Lovers. He passes over the park's alleys and connects two parts of the Mariinsky park. People come here to declare your love, clasp fasten their feelings and to make a marriage proposal.. Also in the park is an observation deck, built by Empress Maria even in 1874. From there you can enjoy the views of the Dnieper, Kiev hills, the left bank of the capital, as well as the Parliament and the stadium "Dinamo".