Monument to Adam Mickiewicz, Warsaw
Krakowskie Przedmieście 21/23, Warsaw, Poland
Adam Mickiewicz Monument - a monument in memory of the great Polish poet, political journalist, leader of the national liberation movement in Poland. Its opening was held December 24, 1898 at the Krakow suburb of the Polish capital, the 100th anniversary of his birth. Initiator of construction of the monument was Henryk Sienkiewicz. The pedestal is made of Italian granite and Mickiewicz figure was cast in bronze in the workshop Lippi in Italy. At the top of the podium placed cartouche with dates of birth and death of the poet, at the bottom - allegorical decorations in the shape of the head of Apollo with rays emanating thin. Above his head the Greek god - palm branches, Lira and paper folding, and below a table with the inscription " Adam Mickiewicz - Neighbors in 1898." In 1942, the monument was dismantled and taken to the German occupiers in the Reich. After the war, the Polish military mission spotted parts of the monument - the head and torso fragment in Hamburg. A copy of the figure was cast by the sculptor Ian Schepkovskim, then was restored and partially fence pedestal. Opening of the restored monument to Adam Mickiewicz in Warsaw took place January 28, 1950.