Shopping center "Golden Terraces" is widely regarded as one of the most popular and most visited shopping centers in Warsaw. The shopping center has an unusual shape of attractive and spectacular fountain outside. On its territory there are about two hundred stores, over thirty restaurants and cafes, a cinema and a fitness facility. There is also a seating area and a children's center, where under the supervision of specialists, you can leave the child at the time of shopping. The shopping center "Golden Terraces" the goods of famous brands and trademarks. Here you will find shoes, cosmetics, accessories, jewelry, sporting goods, decorative items, crystal, electronics, products for children, furniture and interior design, flower shops, travel agency and more. One of the most popular places where tourists shop is "Krosno", which offers a huge selection of crystal, glass, porcelain and silver come from the Polish region of Krosno.
Palace of Culture and Science - the most famous and the tallest building in Poland. It was built on the model of the so-called " Stalin's skyscrapers "and was originally called the"Palace of Culture and Science, Stalin's name." It was a gift to the Polish people of the Soviet people to the festival in 1955, held in Warsaw. The idea belonged to Joseph Stalin himself. The author of the project was a Soviet architect Lev Rudnev. Warsaw Palace of Culture and Science has 42 floors and more than three thousand rooms, which are located in the Polish Academy of Sciences, private offices, post office, cinema, library, museums, theaters, as well as the main concert hall of the country. On the thirtieth floor at a height of 114 meters free to visit a lookout terrace, overlooking the magnificent panorama of the city. Hanging over the platform 's second largest clock in Europe.
Saxon Park - the oldest public park in the city. Founded in the late seventeenth century by order of August II the Strong, it was opened to the public in 1727 as one of the first public parks in the world. Originally erected in the park Saxon Baroque in the image of the park of Versailles. However, two centuries later, it was rebuilt in the classic English style. The park was decorated with allegorical sculptures, as well as an artificial lake - a copy of a Roman sanctuary - Vesta. In 1855 there appeared a fountain, designed by Henryk Marconi. In the northwestern part of the garden on the banks of ornamental lake in 1852 was built a water tower in a classic style. In 1863, physicist and meteorologist Antonio Szeliga Madzhier were installed marble sundial. Also, during this period was built Summer Theatre for one one thousand and sixty-five spectators who burned down in September 1939 as a result of a direct hit by a bomb. During World War II, the park was almost completely destroyed, but was later restored.
Marshal Jozef Pilsudski area - one of the most important historical sights of Warsaw, which attracts tourists plenty of architectural and historical monuments. It is named in honor of Marshal Jozef Pilsudski - politician and statesman, founder of the Polish Army, which played a huge role in the restoration of Polish statehood after World War. Area was established in 1791 and was originally called Saxon. Then it was renamed in Pilsudski Square. During the German occupation during the Second World War, she was named an area of Adolf Hitler, and after the war renamed Victory Square. And only recently returned to her name Pilsudski Square. During its long history, this area has often been the site of various historical events. In the nineteenth century the square military parades, here welcomed the official guests of Poland and Warsaw. It is in this area in 1979 in the presence of a huge number of parishioners held its mass, the first Pole, who was elected in 1978 to the papacy, John Paul II. Here in April 2005, the Poles mourn his death. In the late nineteenth - early twentieth century in the area was Alexander Nevsky Orthodox Cathedral, which was demolished after the conquest of Polish independence. Marshal Jozef Pilsudski area located in the scenic area, there are a plurality of cafes, restaurants, small shops and a large number of boutiques of famous brands. The ensemble includes a square tomb of the Unknown Soldier - one of the most famous war memorials in Poland, the monument to Marshal Pilsudski and the ruins of the Saxon Palace.
St Joseph's Church is considered one of the most beautiful in the Polish capital. He is one of the few examples of exquisite rococo style in Warsaw. Church named in honor of the corresponding female Catholic monastic order. Church has another name - " vizitantok church." The first wooden church on this site was built in 1651 by order of Queen Mary - Louise de Nevers Gonzara for the French Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary. However, in 1656 it was burnt by the Swedes. In 1664, construction began on a new church. The first stone was laid Vaclav Leszczyński. Unfortunately, being unfinished, the church burned down in 1695. Build a new church in its present form began only in 1728 by architect Karol Wow at the initiative politician Elzbieta Sienyavski. In 1734, construction was halted due to lack of funds and continued a few years later thanks to the participation of Maria Sofia Czartoryska. The front part of the church and the altar were made by Polish architect Ephraim Schroeger. Sculptures on the facade - the work of the greatest Polish sculptor John George Plersch. Church consecrated Bishop Joseph Andrew Zaluski in 1761. St Joseph's Church became very popular after Frederic Chopin began to play the organ here during worship, as a student of the Warsaw Lyceum. The original body is still in the church. Church cards - one of the few buildings in Warsaw, which was not damaged during the Second World War. It still survives in good condition. In 1960 he became rector of the priest and poet Jan Twardowski.
Cracow suburb - is the main and one of the most beautiful avenues in Warsaw. It is part of the Royal Route and links located on the bank of the Vistula historical old town with modern district of Warsaw. Prospect originates in Castle Square, where there were destroyed in the nineteenth century Cracow Gate - an important element of the fortifications of the Old Town, and go south in the direction of Krakow. Here are concentrated the most beautiful churches, palaces and monuments of Warsaw. At the Krakow suburb located Kazimirovsky Palace, which houses the University of Warsaw, Cards Catholic, Church of St. Anne, Dzekanka hostel, which houses the Student Cultural Center, Academy of Fine Arts, hotel "Bristol" and "European", as well as monuments of Adam Mickiewicz, the prince Jozef Poniatowski and Copernicus - great Polish astronomer. If you are tired, looking at all this magnificence, then you can relax and have a snack in one of the many cozy restaurants and cafes.
University of Warsaw - one of the largest and most prestigious public university in Poland. It was founded in 1816 by Emperor Alexander I Russia and is located in a building that was built in 1634 by King John Casimir. University consisted of five faculties: Faculty of Law and Administrative Sciences, Medical Faculty, the Faculty of Theology, Faculty of Philosophy and the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, which from 1826 to 1829 he studied Chopin. In 1830 Tsar Nicholas First in memory of his brother Alexander I, renamed the University of Alexander. However, shortly after the incident renaming Polish uprising caused the closing of the university. In 1857 opened here Medico- Surgical Academy, and in 1862 Warsaw School of having four divisions: law and management, philology and history, mathematics and physics, and medicine. In October 1869 The school was converted to the Imperial University of Warsaw. During the First World War, the university was evacuated to Rostov-on -Don. During World War II, all Polish universities were closed. In the main university buildings housed the German barracks and fortifications. To date, the University of Warsaw consists of twenty departments and included in a list of two hundred best universities in the world by the British magazine "The Times".
Staszic Palace is recognized as one of the most beautiful architectural monuments of Warsaw. It was built in 1823 by the efforts of the priest and the famous Polish Enlightenment figure Staszica project invited from Florence architect Antonio Corazzi in classic style. After the construction of the building gave Staszic Society of Friends of Science - the first Polish scientific organization. In May 1830 in front of the monument was inaugurated by Copernicus, created by Danish artist and sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen. After the Polish uprising of 1830 scientific organization was closed and the building has departed Russian government. Until 1862 it housed the management of the state lottery and Medical Surgical Academy. Later the building was opened by Russian men's gymnasium, and in 1890 it was decided to place in the palace of a Roman church of St. Tatiana, for this it was rebuilt in the old Russian style. After Poland regained independence, resulting in another reconstruction in 1926 the palace was restored to its original classic style. Before the Second World War it housed several scientific organizations: Warsaw Scientific Society, the National Meteorological Institute, the French Institute and the Archaeological Museum of Warsaw. In 1944 the palace was almost completely destroyed. After the war, restored palace Staszic came into the possession of the Polish Academy of Sciences, which is located in the building to this day.
Museum of the famous Polish composer Frederic Chopin was opened in 1954. It is located in the center of Warsaw, in the palace of Ostrog. Exhibits for the museum were collected in 1934 by the Institute of Chopin, later renamed the Chopin Society. More than thirty representatives of the world of culture began to collect a unique collection of items related to private life and work of the composer. In particular, the unique manuscripts were acquired for the museum, which included personal letters Chopin. The museum's collection is the world's largest collection of Chopin's relics. It includes more than seven thousand items : photographs, manuscripts and autographs of the Chopin, his personal letters and stuff, piano, working sketches and more. In 1999 the collection was included in the World Heritage List of UNESCO. In March 2010, the bicentennial of Frederic Chopin in the museum opened a new multimedia exhibition. It is located on five levels, order of visiting the museum where guests choose their own. Here you can see a personal diary Chopin in 1848, the hall dedicated to the composer's life in Paris, the death mask and a cast of Chopin's hand, clippings of newspaper articles devoted to his work, as well as to learn about women, whom he harbored feelings, listen to his works, and more more. The museum also hosts concerts and piano competitions, dedicated to the famous composer.
Warsaw University Library was founded in 1816. Throughout its history, it has undergone a lot of testing. The library was closed by the tsarist government, its funds were exported to Russia, then returned, suffered from a fire during World War II. The current library building was commissioned in late 1999. Seven months before the opening of the building consecrated by Pope John Paul II. The Library consists of the main building and four- low frontal body, which are connected to a gallery with a glass roof. Near the main entrance there are four columns with statues of famous Polish philosophers of the twentieth century : Casimir Twardowski, Jan Lukasiewicz, Alfred Tarski and Stanislaw Lesniewski. Interesting attraction Library - roof garden of the main building area of about one hectare. This is one of the largest and most beautiful roof gardens in Europe. The garden is open to the general public. It consists of two parts : the top and bottom connected by jet water cascades. In the lower garden is two main attractions - a pond with fish and artificial stone with a small fountain, connected with each other stream. From the viewing terrace and garden bridges installed here have stunning views of the city, bridge and Sventokshizhsky Vistula. Another of the attractions of Warsaw University Library, which is certainly worth a visit, is the Polish poster gallery. Here is the original post-war posters, some of which are very rare and valuable. The collection includes about seven thousand names, some of which are proprietary, theater, political posters, as well as posters on the occasion of various events. In the gallery, you can also view and buy posters of famous Polish graphic artists.
Adam Mickiewicz Monument - a monument in memory of the great Polish poet, political journalist, leader of the national liberation movement in Poland. Its opening was held December 24, 1898 at the Krakow suburb of the Polish capital, the 100th anniversary of his birth. Initiator of construction of the monument was Henryk Sienkiewicz. The pedestal is made of Italian granite and Mickiewicz figure was cast in bronze in the workshop Lippi in Italy. At the top of the podium placed cartouche with dates of birth and death of the poet, at the bottom - allegorical decorations in the shape of the head of Apollo with rays emanating thin. Above his head the Greek god - palm branches, Lira and paper folding, and below a table with the inscription " Adam Mickiewicz - Neighbors in 1898." In 1942, the monument was dismantled and taken to the German occupiers in the Reich. After the war, the Polish military mission spotted parts of the monument - the head and torso fragment in Hamburg. A copy of the figure was cast by the sculptor Ian Schepkovskim, then was restored and partially fence pedestal. Opening of the restored monument to Adam Mickiewicz in Warsaw took place January 28, 1950.
Castle Square - this place is exceptionally beautiful old buildings and streets, where they like to spend time citizens of the city and many tourists. Castle Square in Warsaw - home. And at Christmas, here set the main tree of the city. In the center of the square stands the first secular monument in Poland - tridtsatimetrovaya Third column of King Sigismund Vasa, the man who once moved the capital from Krakow to Warsaw. It was established in 1644 by his son - King Vladislav Fourth and today is one of the most beautiful monuments of Warsaw. Along the eastern side of the square stretches Royal Castle. Located close to the castle of St. John 's Cathedral - the oldest church in Warsaw, built at the turn of the thirteenth - fourteenth centuries. Here once crowned Polish kings, princes and nobles were buried townspeople in these walls prayed Tadeusz Kosciuszko, and today under its arches organ sounds and services have been held. In the depths of space has a unique bell. His very long cast, but, unfortunately, he never had and did not call. But now he has another mission. He receives tourists and residents of Warsaw to make a wish. It is believed that if to touch the bell three times and walk around it, the wish will be granted.
Royal Castle is one of the most visited museums in Warsaw. The building is a reconstruction of the ensemble, which was completely destroyed during the Second World War. In the thirteenth century there was a wooden fortress, then in its place built a palace, around which eventually grew old town. After the transfer of the capital of Poland from Krakow to Warsaw in 1596, the castle became the official royal residence. Here commemorative constitution was adopted in 1791. After Poland regained independence in 1918, worked here the president of Poland. During the Second World War the palace was almost completely destroyed, but in the seventies it was rebuilt. Here were placed rescued hundreds of paintings and sculptures, as well as numerous works of art. Today, the castle is an art museum where you can see the collection of carpets and coins, see Rembrandt and Matejko, paintings, which depict the old kinds of Warsaw brush Bellotto, and the urn containing the ashes of Tadeusz Kosciuszko. You can visit the palace rooms, room Senate Hall of the Diet and the royal chambers, the Chamber of Deputies, the Palace Chapel, Assembly Hall, National and throne rooms, and room paintings by Canaletto. Should definitely visit the Marble room, where hung portraits of Polish kings Marcello Bocharelli brush, as well as Knight's room. 11:15 In front of the castle is going to a lot of people to hear the trumpeter of the clock tower that welcomes all in the Old Town. From time to time in the Royal Palace hosts concerts and theater performances, in the style of the eighteenth - nineteenth centuries. This castle was once famous for its ghosts. In 1659, the superstitious Sigismund Augustus was the ghost of his prematurely deceased beloved wife Barbara. In 1772, Stanislaw Poniatowski, a glimpse of the "white lady" who brought bad news on the first partition of Poland. Once again, the ghost appeared to him in 1794, when Suvorov stormed the eastern outskirts of the capital. White figure in one of the eastern windows predicted the collapse of the country and the impending death of the king. Fond of the castle and alchemy. During the time of Augustus II of Saxony here trying to make gold using famous alchemist Jan Böttger.
Market Square - is the central and oldest part of Warsaw's Old Town. It originated in the late thirteenth century, together with the base of the city. Surrounding buildings were made in the Gothic style and lasted until the great fire of 1607. Later they were first partially restored in the Renaissance style, and then in 1701 - Baroque flair architect Tilman van Gameren. The square also housed the town hall, which was demolished in 1817. Market Square for many years played an important role in the life of the city as a major center of trade, political speeches and just hangout. Fairs were held here, and other public events. During the Second World War the area was destroyed. And in 1953 it almost completely rebuilt with the remaining pre-war images. Now Market Square is one of the most popular attractions of Warsaw. Buskers satisfied here incendiary performances, artists sell their paintings, and traders stalls - a variety of souvenirs. The nearby restaurants you can taste delicious Warsaw pastries and other dishes. Market Square - the most beautiful square in Warsaw, which is surrounded by quaint old houses with colorful facades. Each of the four sides of the square and even each house has its own name. One of the most beautiful buildings here - the so-called House beneath the lion. That it is often depicted on postcards Warsaw. Market Square is also famous Little Mermaid statue - patroness of Warsaw. It is a symbol of the city and on its emblem. The Little Mermaid was established in 1855 on the initiative of King Vladislav Sixth and is one of the oldest monuments in the city. According to legend, lived long ago in the Baltic Sea two sisters mermaid. Once they decided to see the world. One of them swam to the Danish kingdom, and now she sits on a rock on the waterfront of Copenhagen. Second swam in the Vistula near Warsaw where it was caught by local fishermen. They wanted to eat a mermaid, but when they heard her divine singing, decided to let go. Mermaid also struck by the beauty and kindness banks of Vistula River locals live here. Every day sea maiden sang for local fishermen their wonderful songs. But once incredibly rich and greedy merchant, decided to capitalize on the magical mermaid singing, caught it and put him in a cage. On hearing this, the locals came to the aid of the little mermaid. Again once free, she soon married a fisherman and sworn to protect and preserve Warsaw and all its inhabitants from any troubles and misfortunes. That is why the emblem of the city and she is portrayed with a shield and sword.
Monument dedicated to the young rebel children, participated in the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. It was erected in 1983 near the fortified walls of the Old City. The author of the monument is a Polish sculptor Jerzy Yarnushkevich. He developed it in 1946, and to the monument sculpture small insurgent was known in the country as small figurines. Bronze monument to the young rebel, set on a low pedestal, is a boy of five years in a large helmet for his head, which is attached to the ribbon of white and red color - a symbol of the Polish flag. In the hands of a small town defender holding a rifle. This monument has a real prototype. It is said that the soldiers called him Curly. The boy was the son of a nurse who treated the Resistance fighters. He, like many other children at the time, served as a liaison between the units. Behind the statue is installed on the wall board, on which are engraved the words of one of the most famous rebel songs : " Warsaw kids go to fight for your every stone, the capital, give up their blood."
Old Town - is the oldest historic district of Warsaw, and one of its most famous attractions. It was founded in the thirteenth century. First, the city grew up around the castle of the princes of Mazovia, which later became known as the Royal Castle. Originally surrounded by an earthen wall, in 1339, he was surrounded by brick city walls. Until 1817 the most prominent landmark of the Old Town Hall building was built in 1429. During World War II, the area was completely destroyed, but later rebuilt. Where it was possible, using bricks of the original buildings. The main sources in the reconstruction of the Old Town appearance Bernardo Bellotto used Veduta eighteenth century, as well as the pre-war figures, students on student architects. Warsaw 's Old Town was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List " as an exceptional example of an almost complete restoration of the historical period between the eighteenth - twentieth centuries." Today is the most beautiful area of the city. Here, almost every building - it is a palace or monument. The old town center is Market Square with restaurants, cafes and shops. Surrounding streets are rich in medieval architecture. Here you can admire the city walls, the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, Warsaw citadel, built by Russian Tsar Nicholas I, and, of course, the Royal Castle. For the Royal Castle is an observation deck, which offers a magnificent view of the Vistula and the new stadium. Streets of the Old City - a great place for walks at any time of the year and any time of day in Warsaw.
Krasiński Palace, also known as the Palace of the Rzeczpospolita - this baroque palace, located on the Plaza Krasiński. It was built in 1683 for governors Plock Jan Dobrogosta Krasinski project Tilman van Gameren. Sculptures that adorn the palace were made by the German sculptor Andreas Schlüter. On the interior, in particular on the frescoes, hard court painter Michelangelo Palloni. Owner of the palace was a connoisseur and collector of art, so the interiors presented an impressive collection of works by Albrecht Dürer, Antonio da Correggio and Rubens. In 1765 the building was acquired by the State, it housed the Treasury Committee of the Commonwealth. After a fire in 1783 the palace was partially rebuilt in accordance with the project architect Domenico Merlini. Between the two world wars, was located here, the Supreme Court of Poland. During the Second World War the palace was burned. Later, it was restored and today it is part of the National Library of Poland, where there is a special collector's department of manuscripts and old prints of the Zaluski Library. Garden is located near the palace Krasiński available to the public since 1768. Also the oldest specimen trees dating from the late nineteenth century, in the western part of the park, by the former street Nalevki partially preserved to our days Baroque gate and fence fragment.
Banking area - one of the main squares of Warsaw. Built in 1825, it was designed to be one of the most beautiful and richest parts of Warsaw. Originally the area was a triangular shape. Among the important buildings, post here, were the Warsaw Stock Exchange, Bank of Poland and the Ministry of Customs. In 1944, as a result of the Warsaw Uprising located in areas of the building was almost completely destroyed. After the Second World War, it was decided to reconstruct only the western part of the historic area and rebuild it in the shape of a rectangle. During gospodstvovaniya in the country of the communist regime, the area was renamed in Dzerzhinsky Square in honor of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who had Polish roots. In 1951, in the southern part of the square was erected and a monument in honor of the famous revolutionary, and in 1989 after the fall of the communist regime it was demolished. Today banking area is an important transportation hub of the city. In addition, there are historic buildings that attract large numbers of tourists. Here is the famous Blue skyscraper built on the ruins of the Germans during the Second World War, the Great Synagogue, and the mayor's office, located in the former Ministry of Finance. In 2001, the square, the site of Dzerzhinsky monument was erected a monument dedicated to Polish poet and playwright Juliusz Slovak sculptor Edward Wittig. Near the square is Saxon Garden and the Royal Arsenal, which is a building of the former military arsenal, built in the sixteenth century Polish King Stefan Batory. Today, there is a fascinating museum of archeology.