Akershus Fortress - one of the oldest and most famous historic sites in Oslo. The castle was built in the late thirteenth century by King Hakon Fifth Ghost and defended the city from enemy attacks. This is the first time in the history of Norwegian architecture, when the castle was built of brick and stone. After 1811 the castle was used as a royal prison. In the early twentieth century, the castle was a museum. In 1940, the castle at 5 years was captured by the Germans - then housed the Gestapo.. October 24, 1945 there had been executed for treason Vidkun Quisling, and in 1989 Pope John Paul II celebrated Mass in the square of the fortress. It was the first time in history, when the head of the Roman Catholic Church visited Norway.. Today, the castle are the Norwegian Armed Forces Museum and the Norwegian Resistance Museum. Also in the fortress housed the headquarters of the armed forces of Norway and the Ministry of Defence. Castle with chapel and the castle are open to tourists. Inside, visitors can see the hall Romerike, as well as the royal chapel built under Christian the Fourth, in which the relics of the Norwegian monarchs of Sigurd the First, Fifth Haakon, Queen Euphemia, King Haakon Seventh, Queen Maud, King Olaf the Fifth and Crown Princess Martha..
The Cathedral in Oslo - this is the main church of Norway. It is located on the market square Stortorvet, preserved from the time of Christiania. This is the third temple, which stands on the site. The first building built here Jarl Sigurd First Crusade at the beginning of the twelfth century in honor of St. Hallvard, the patron saint of Oslo. For five hundred years Hallvard's Cathedral was the main temple of the city. In 1624, King Christian the Fourth city suffered under the walls of the Akershus Fortress, and the main cathedral of the city was abandoned and subsequently almost completely destroyed.. In 1639 a new church was built, called the "Church of the Holy Trinity," but in 1686 it was burnt down by lightning. Then in its place was built the third temple, which has been preserved to this day.. Cathedral of interest stored in it works by Norwegian artists of the twentieth century, and the bronze doors of the Verenshellya, stained glass Emanuel Vigeland, brother of the sculptor Gustav Vigeland, located in the choir loft. Also noteworthy are the pulpit and the altar, preserved from the seventeenth century. The church has a fine organ by Jean Reed, established in 1997. The Norwegian royal family and the government of Norway used the cathedral for social events..
Karl Johans Gate is the main street of Oslo. It stretches from the railway station to the Royal Palace. The street was laid at the Swedish-Norwegian King Charles Fourteenth Juhani, after whom later was named. It is famous for a lot of small shops and stalls of street vendors, art galleries open-air performances of musicians and actors directly on the pavement. On New Year's street attracts residents of the main symbol of the holiday - a huge Christmas tree, according to tradition, established in the old building of the University.. Almost all the buildings on this street were built in the twenties and fifties of the nineteenth century by the court architect of the Norwegian Linstow, whose goal was to make the street, Karl Johans Gate in the "Champs Elysees" of Oslo. The most notable building in the street - the central building of the University of Oslo, built in the classical style by the renowned Berlin architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel. Not far from the building of the University are the Historical and Ethnographic Museum and the National Gallery, which stores the largest collection of paintings by Norwegian artists..
Meetings of the Norwegian parliament building - the Storting. In its present form the Storting has existed since 1814, when it was torn union with the Danish crown and accepted the Norwegian constitution, but a permanent space for meetings at that time did not have. The building of meeting the Norwegian Parliament was built only after '52 in 1866.. Palace in Neo-Romanesque style, which is a round building with two wings on each side, was designed by Swedish architect Emil Langlet. The main room of the Norwegian Parliament - Meeting Room. It is an amphitheater in the center of which is a place of the speaker, but by and large semicircular space for MPs. During the meeting Visitors can watch from the balcony. There are also places for the press and members of the government. Among other facilities Storting most famous are Eydsvolldskaya gallery with portraits and busts of prominent Norwegian politicians, meeting Lagting and luxuriously furnished "Room seventh of June," designed to questions submitted for consideration. Parliament building is guarded by two stone lions, drawings are executed by sculptor Christopher Bork. Interesting is the fact that the statue's drawings were engraved in stone fortress of Akershus two prisoners, one of whom went to prison for a minor offense, went on to become a sculptor, and second, sentenced to life imprisonment, his freedom.. The building Storinga kept a lot of artistic values, which include 350 works of graphic art, 200 paintings, as well as ceramics and sculpture.
The Royal Palace - this is the official residence of the ruling Norwegian King Harald the Fifth and popular tourist attraction in Oslo. If the king is in the palace, above the roof of the building soars his own standard, and decked with gold. If there is no king, the palace is visible flag of Crown Prince Haakon. The entrance to the palace is closed, but you can walk around the Palace Square, admire the view of the center of Oslo and watch the changing of the guard Royal Guards.. The Royal Palace was built as a summer residence of the Swedish-Norwegian King Carl XIV Johan. In 1818, Norway was ceded to Sweden's efforts of former Napoleonic marshal Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, crowned by two throne - Swedish and Norwegian by the name of King Carl XIV Johan. On the advice of the officer and the Danish architect Hans Detlef Linstow king ordered the construction of a palace on a hill outside the city Billevskom. In 1825, Carl Johan personally laid the first stone of the future residence. Due to financial problems erection lasted for 24 years. The palace was completed in 1849, when King Carl Johan has died. Settled in the palace of his son, Oscar first.. On the first floor of the palace today are Hall of the State Council and the parish church. The building's interior is richly decorated with works of Norwegian art and surrounded by a beautiful park, which is open to the public only in summer. Before the palace is a statue of King Charles XIV Johan..
Frogner Park - one of the most famous sites in Oslo. Here are the famous Vigeland Sculpture Park, named in honor of the author - the famous sculptor Norway - Gustav Vigeland. It covers an area of thirty hectares and contains 227 sculptural groups, representing a rich range of human relationships that accompany the person throughout life. The theme of the park are the "human condition". Most of the statues depict people who are depicted in various activities such as running, wrestling, dancing, hugging. Each of the statues conveys a certain set of emotions, human relations. In granite, iron and bronze sculptor was able to express his childhood and youth, love, friendship, motherhood, joy, sadness, withering, sickness, death, and more.. On the creation of sculptures by Gustav Vigeland spent almost 40 years of life. Park topped with statues and sculptures from 1907 to 1942. The most famous sculpture park - monolith "The desire of humankind for a better future", which is a 16-meter high tower weighing 270 tons, carved out of solid rock. Three stonecutter worked on its development for fourteen years. The sculpture represents the intertwining of rising to the heavens human bodies.. Among the other attractions of the park should be allocated Main Gate, the Wheel of Life, Sundial, a fountain, and a children's playground.. In the southern part of the park are two museums - the Vigeland Museum, where you can see the other sculptures as well as drawings of the master, and the Museum of the City of Oslo..
Norwegian Folk Museum is the most famous museum in Oslo. It was opened in 1894. In an area of fourteen acres located 155 buildings gathered from all parts of Norway. The museum gives an idea about the life of Norwegians different time periods - from the Middle Ages to the present day. In his exhibition includes rural and urban wooden house with a preserved interior, furniture and household items. The exhibition features a wooden church of the twelfth century, at the ends of the roof which enshrines the images of dragons - the attribute of Viking ships, as well as the oldest, surviving in Norway, wooden house. One of the exhibits is a replica of the famous playwright's office Henrik Ibsen..
The Viking Ship Museum - one of the most popular museums in Oslo, Norway. It was founded in 1926. In his exhibition includes surviving the famous Viking ships. The museum consists of three vessels found during archaeological excavations on the coast of the Oslo Fjord: Thun ship Gokstadsky ship and ship Osebergsky. The construction of the three ships is dated the ninth century, and it means that they have lain on the seabed about a thousand years. The first ship - Osebergsky is a carved boat length of 22 meters and is located at the entrance to the museum. He was found on the seabed near the village of Oseberg in 1904. The second ship - Gokstadsky, occupy the east wing of the museum. The ship's length - 24 meters. It has a more stable structure, and probably could cross the ocean. In the west wing is the third Viking ship - Thun presented, unfortunately, only the individual parts. In addition to the Viking Ship Museum can be seen in the exhibition, consisting of objects found on the ships: wooden carts, sledges, household utensils, pieces of fabric, sticks with tips in the form of heads of animals.. At the entrance to the museum is a monument to Marcus Helge Ingstad and his wife. They proved that the Vikings visited North America in the 4th century before the expedition of Christopher Columbus..
Kon-Tiki Museum - a museum dedicated to the life and work of Thor Heyerdahl. Traveler gained worldwide fame after his spectacular expeditions and voyages. Contrary to popular belief, he proved that the ancient people were able to conquer the oceans and were great navigators. The main exhibit of the museum is the legendary raft "Kon-Tiki" on which Thor Heyerdahl in 1947, crossed the Pacific. In 1970, an international expedition led by Heyerdahl crossed the Atlantic by boat "Ra 2", which is also represented in the museum. Also on display there are other vessels on which Thor Heyerdahl made his expedition.. In 1955, Thor Heyerdahl led the first professional archaeological expedition, which took the excavations on Easter Island. Three large caves found in the excavations were recreated in the museum "Kon-Tiki". It also installed a 10-meter high replica of the statue from the island.. The underwater part of the museum depicts a scene from the expedition on the raft "Kon-Tiki" when under the raft darting fish of various kinds, including the largest representative of the fish fauna - the whale shark. The museum is incredibly popular. Every year it is visited by more than two hundred thousand people, but only with the opening of the museum was visited by over 15 million visitors from around the world..
Museum "Fram" was founded in 1936 and is dedicated to three outstanding polar expeditions passing on board, "Fram". "Fram" - a ship of Fridtjof Nansen, built according to the drawings of the famous polar explorer specifically for sailing in Arctic conditions. The ship is the main center of the exhibit and the museum. It Fridtjof Nansen sailed the Arctic Ocean, and 25 years later, another Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen sailed on the "Fram" to Antarctica, and then skiing the first ever reached the South Pole.. The museum also exhibited findings of researchers, and on the upper floors housed household items with the "Fram", books, logbooks, navigation devices. An exhibition of the museum introduces visitors to the activities of Nansen, which brought him the Nobel Prize. Next to the museum moored another ship - Roald Amundsen, in which he made an expedition from the Atlantic to the Pacific, passing along the coasts of North America..