Theatre Politeama name Garibaldi. It was built in the late nineteenth century as a multifunctional theater and was intended not only for the production of theatrical performances, but also for the circus. Luxurious theater building, renovated in 2000, now serves as the seat of the Sicilian Symphony Orchestra. And in some halls are Politeama Exposure Gallery of Modern Art. Before the theater are just two areas: Area Ruggero Settimo, named in honor of the revolutionary government of Sicily in 1848, and also the area of Castelnuovo, named after the leader of the liberation movement against the Bourbon dynasty in Sicily - the Duke of Castelnuovo. In each of these areas are monuments to figures made in 1865 by architect De Lisi Junior..
Teatro Massimo - opera house is located on the Piazza Verdi. It bears the name of King Victor Emmanuel II. Teatro Massimo is the largest in Italy and one of the largest in Europe and is famous with its excellent acoustics. Construction of the theater began in 1874 by the architect Giovanni Battista Filippo Basile in the neoclassical style with elements of ancient Greek temples. But for lovers of opera theater was opened only 22 years after laying the foundation, in 1897.. The auditorium of the theater, in the style of the late Renaissance in the classic shape of a horseshoe with seven lodges, accommodates 3,000 people. Sculpture busts of great composers for the theater carved Italian sculptor Giusto Liva and his sons.. The monumental staircase leading to the theater, decorated with bronze lions on which sit the statues of women who are allegories of "Opera" and "Tragedy".. On stage Massimo were the famous opera singers of the world, including Enrico Caruso and Luciano Pavarotti. Since the theater is connected local legend, according to which in its sorrowful spirits inhabit the premises, as Massimo was built on the site of the demolished church and an old graveyard..
The Quattro Canti, which translated means "four corners" - is the popular name of Piazza Villena, a central square in Palermo. She was laid down at the intersection of Corso Vittorio Emanuele and Via Maqueda in 1620. The author of the project was the Quattro Canti Giulio Lasso and implementer - Giuseppe de Avantsato. The area has an unusual shape. Due to the four corners of the buildings forming the square cut, Quattro Canti, the form of an octahedron.. The corner of the building constructed in the same architectural style. The lower tier facades decorated with fountains in the form of allegories of the four seasons. In the niches of the middle tier of the statue hoisted the Spanish King Philip II, Philip III, Philip the Fourth and the Emperor Charles the Fifth, and also occupied the throne of the kingdom of Sicily.. The top tier is decorated with statues of saints Agatha, Christina, Ninfa and Oliva until the seventeenth century as the patroness of Palermo, and then became patrons of the four quarters of Palermo.. Today, the Quattro Canti, remains one of the most loved people and visited places of Palermo..
Chiaramonte Steri Palace - a medieval castle, built in the early fourteenth century by order of Count Manfred Chiaramonte, who belonged to the very rich and powerful noble family of Sicily. In 1392, the last of the family Chiaramonte Sicilian king was beheaded right in the courtyard of the castle, and the castle became the residence of the cruel ruler. In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, the fortress served as a prison, torture, and the seat of the chief inquisitor of the island. During this period, its walls were languishing thousand people, 188 of them, most of them women, were burned at the stake "in the name of the Lord" as witches, witchcraft.. Today, the walls of the old palace is located University of Palermo, but some rooms open to visitors.
Palermo Botanical Garden - one of the most beautiful in Italy and one of the most interesting and important botanical gardens in Europe. It was opened in 1795. The garden has a rich collection of plants representing a diverse flora of almost all over the world, in particular the tropical and subtropical zones. Garden Collection includes about 12,000 species of plants growing in an area of ten hectares.. The botanical garden has several greenhouses where you can see bananas, papaya, plants moist climates and ferns. In addition, the garden has a herbarium, which houses about 250,000 specimens of plants, algae, lichens and fungi. In the semi-aquatic garden bloom yellow, blue and pink lilies.. The symbol of the Botanical Garden and its main attraction is a Ficus macrophylla, which was brought here in 1845 from Norfolk Island in Australia..
Palermo Centrale - is the main railway station of Palermo, as well as one of the most important stations in Italy. It is located in the center of the square of Julius Caesar. The station, designed by the Italian architect Giovanni Di, was opened in 1886. From this station for trains on the routes: Palermo - Messina, Palermo - Trapani, Palermo - Catania and Palermo - Agrigento. From the Central Station of Palermo, you can also get to the airport "Falcone e Borsellino".
Norman Royal Palace - Former residence of the Sicilian kings and viceroys, which is one of the most important architectural monuments of Palermo.. On the hill where today stands the castle at all times or that towered bastion. The first building on the site of the Palace of the Norman owned the Phoenicians, then there existed the ancient Roman building. In the ninth century the Arabs have mastered Palermo, founded on the site of ancient ruins of his castle, known as the Palace of the emirs. In 1072 the Normans captured Palermo and remade Arab construction under his royal needs, built a tower, and Palatine Chapel. Later, having gone through a period of neglect, which lasted almost 300 years, the palace served as the residence of the Spanish monarch, who rebuilt it in its own style.. Since 1947, in the Palace of the Norman parliament meets autonomous region of Sicily. Besides the palace and perform cultural function, being both a museum with its architectural treasures of different styles and eras - the Palatine Chapel, the tower of St. Ninfa, Roger Hall - Regal chic rests of the eleventh century, and the Arab courtyards and Spanish fountains..
Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary - it is the cathedral of Palermo, located on Cathedral Square and is one of the most famous attractions of Sicily.. It was built by the Norman King William the Second in 1186 on the orders of Archbishop Gualtiero Offamilio. Cathedral had become a symbol of the greatness of religious authority. The first church on the site of the present cathedral was built in the fourth century after a local martyr Mamiliana and subsequently destroyed by vandals. Under the Byzantines in the early seventh century in the same place was built a new church in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In the eight hundred and thirty first year of Palermo was captured by the Arabs, who turned in Friday's cathedral mosque.. In 1072 the Normans led by Robert Guiscard and his younger brother Roger took Palermo. On the same day, Friday Mosque was re-consecrated in honor of the Virgin. After moving to Palermo Adelaide Savonskoy, mother of Roger II and regent during his minority, the Cathedral of Palermo is the main thing in Norman Sicily. In 1130 Roger II was crowned in the cathedral as the first monarch of the Kingdom of Sicily. Here were later crowned his successor Wilhelm I and Wilhelm II Wicked Good.. Over the centuries, up until the early nineteenth century, the building of the cathedral was repeatedly subjected to various reconstructions and renovations as a result acquired the features of different eras and architectural styles. Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is known for the unique Sicilian tombs of kings and emperors, in the reign of the kingdom of Sicily which reached its peak. The most famous and revered relic of the cathedral are the relics of St. Rosalia - the patroness of Palermo and all of Sicily. According to legend, in 1176 during an epidemic of plague, Norman girl Rosalia, she vowed to leave the monastery, the Lord has helped the residents of the city. As soon as she made the vows, the plague left the city. Since this period is considered to be the patron Saint Rosalia of Palermo and one of the most respected and revered saints of Italy.. Also in the cathedral of relics or relics of martyrs Agatha, Christina, Ninfa and Olives. Before the seventeenth century, these martyrs venerated as the Protecting Palermo. Also here is kept the relics of Mary Magdalene..
Basilica of San Domenico - the most important monument of the baroque in Sicily and one of the largest churches in the Italian island. It was erected in 1640 by the famous architect, while Andrea Chirinchione in place that was there before the church in Renaissance style, dating from the fifteenth century. Its present facade of the church purchased in 1726. It is decorated with twelve columns and statues of saints and popes. The main value of the basilica are the tombs, as well as the cenotaphs of prominent people of Italy, in particular, the painter Pietro Novelli, the first Prime Minister of a united Italy, Francesco Crispi, a member of parliament Ruggero Settimo, historian Emeric Amari and other. Also stored in the church of the masters of the Renaissance, the rest of the Church of the fifteenth century.. Front of the church, in the center of the homonymous square of San Domenico, set Column of the Immaculate Virgin, considered the protector of the people from the plague..