Basilica of St. Eustorgio, Milan
Corso di Porta Ticinese, 88-90, Milan, Italy
Basilica of St. Eustorgio - is a Catholic church, a monument of architecture. The first church on this site was built in the fourth century and is named in honor of St. Eustorgius, bishop of Milan, who, according to legend, transferred the relics of the three kings from Constantinople to Milan. There is evidence that in five hundred fifteenth year there was built a new church, which after renovation in the ninth century Romanesque traits acquired. In his time the church has gone through many transformations, but up to now perfectly preserved architecture of the temple and its murals, written on the life story of St. Peter Milanese painter Vincenzo Foppa, as well as sculptures by Giovanni di Balducci. In the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries the Basilica were attached numerous Renaissance chapel that belonged to noble birth. In the same period, and the bell tower was built with arches and a hipped roof in the Lombard style. It capped an eight-pointed star, symbolizing the one that saw the Three King. Were installed in the bell tower clock tower, the first in Italy. For centuries, the basilica was a place of pilgrimage to the relics are kept here, which were believed to belong to the three kings who brought gifts to Jesus, born. In the twelfth century, after the capture of Milan by Frederick Barbarossa relics of the three kings on the orders of the Emperor were moved to Cologne, where they reside to this day in Cologne Cathedral. In 1903, a small fragment of the relics was returned from Cologne to the Basilica of St. Eustorgius.. The main attractions are the St. Eustorgio Renaissance chapel Cappella Portinari, Brivio Chapel and Chapel Visconti. Under the altar of the church are the remains of St. Eustorgius. In the right transept is an ancient sarcophagus three kings, which houses a small fragment of the relics returned from Cologne. In 1764, at the Basilica of Christian burial was found, containing coins of Emperor Constant, the son of Constantine the Great, who ruled from 337 to 350 annually..