Palazzo Vecchio, Florence
Piazza della Signoria, 1, 50122 Florence, Italy
Palazzo Vecchio - one of Florence's most famous buildings , is located in Piazza della Signoria. Construction of this government building was begun in 1295 under the leadership of Arnolfo di Cambio - the creator of Florence Cathedral, pledged a few years earlier. Initially called the Palazzo Vecchio Palazzo Priori den , as it were going priors , - the head of the merchant and artisan guilds, possessed in those days immense political power and influence. In the fifteenth century, the building became known as the Palazzo della Signoria , thereby giving the name and the square in front of the palace. Then here the seat of government of the Florentine republic - Signoria .. In 1540, when the palace became the official residence of the Duke de Medici , it was renamed the Palazzo Ducale. But in 1565 , the Duke moved his residence to the Palazzo Pitti , and his former palace was renamed Palazzo Vecchio, which means - the Old Palace. Today, despite the fact that a large part of the palace is a museum , Palazzo Vecchio is still the seat of the municipal government of Florence.