Lanzi loggia, Florence
Piazza della Signoria, 3, 50122 Florence, Italy
Another landmark , located in Piazza della Signoria is the Loggia Lanzi. It was built in the period from 1376 by 1382 under the leadership of Benci di Cioni and Simone di Francesco Talenti and originally known as the Loggia della Signoria. There were public meetings , receptions and other official events of the Florentine republic .. In the sixteenth century, the Grand Duke of Tuscany, Cosimo de 'Medici first , showing their contempt for any republican tradition, placed in the loggia of his mercenaries mercenaries (abbreviated " Lanzi " ), so it was called the Loggia Lanzi. Later turned into a loggia balcony with representatives of the Medici family could watch everything going on in the square and in. On the roof of the lodge was a garden , which , unfortunately, has not survived , and later, on the orders of Kazim First it was decorated with sculptures .. Currently Lanzi Loggia is a museum in the open air , where the exposition of sculptures of ancient heroes of famous Italian artists. Among the article highlights the " Perseus with the head of Medusa " by Benvenuto Cellini , "The Rape of the Sabine Women " and " Hercules and the Centaur " by Giambologna , "The Rape of Polyxena " by Pio Fedi , the Roman copy of Greek sculpture " Menelaus with the body of Patroclus ," as well as several antique . Most of the sculptures in the Loggia - just a copy , with the exception of " Perseus ". The originals can be seen in the nearby Uffizi Gallery and the Palace of the Bargello ..