Freedom Square and the Arch of Triumph, Florence
Piazza della Libertà, 50129 Florence, Italy
Freedom Square is located in the north of the historic center of Florence. She was defeated in the nineteenth century by the architect Giuseppe Poggi and the area was originally called Camillo Cavour. In 1930 it was renamed the area Costanzo Ciano , and in 1944 - in the area Muti. Its present name - the area of Freedom, she received in 1945.. The main attraction of the area is the Arc de Triomphe. It was erected in 1738 by the architect Jean - Nicolas Jadot after coming on pristol in Florence one of the greatest dynasties in the history of Europe - Lorraine after the death of the last member of the Medici family. In the design of the arch and the creation of statues participated famous Florentine painters and sculptors. To decorate the Arc de Triomphe was used a series of bas-reliefs with inscriptions in Latin and dedicated the triumph of Lorraine , and the coat of arms with an eagle , a traditional symbol of the dynasty. On the inside of the arch placed a plaque , dated 11 November 1916 and dedicated to King Vittorio Emanuele Third , promote the unification of Italy, which has become a symbol of a new type of ruler in contrast to the last form of government is built on the dictatorship..