Church of Santa Maria Novella, Florence
Abside Santa Maria Novella, 50123 Florence, Italy
Church of Santa Maria Novella was designed and built by Dominican monks Sisto da Firenze and yes Campi Ristori in place of the old sanctuary of the tenth century Santa Maria actually Wine. Construction began in 1246. Fully work on the construction of the church ended in the second half of the fourteenth century. The current facade of the church , decorated with white and green marble , was the result of alterations undertaken by Leon Battista Alberti in the period from 1456 by 1470. Marble facade of the church of the same name is on the square - Piazza Santa Maria Novella - one of the largest and most beautiful in the historic center of Florence. The church houses many works of art of the fourteenth to sixteenth centuries.. Of particular interest is the chapel of the noble Florentine families , who ordered the most famous painting of the artists of his time.. One of the main values of the church - " The Crucifixion " by Giotto, attributable to the early period of his work, tentatively by the end of the thirteenth century. In this same church, painted the famous " Trinity" by Masaccio ..