Trinity College was founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth the First. Under the college building was used an abandoned monastery. Trinity College was the first university in Europe, which opened in 1904, the possibility of obtaining higher education in women. Trinity College is part of the University of Dublin and is one of the oldest universities in Europe and the world.. Trinity College and the University of Dublin - the most prestigious institutions of higher learning and Ireland are among the best universities of the world and Europe. Most well-known figures of art and science of Ireland are graduates of Trinity College. This celebrities such as Jonathan Swift wrote "Gulliver's Travels", Nobel Laureate in Literature, Samuel Beckett, and Nobel Laureate in Physics Ernest Walton, as well as Oscar Wilde, William Hamilton mathematician and philosopher George Berkeley. It is impossible not upominut and President of Ireland, Mary Robinson, former and current Makkaliz Mary, who also completed the Trinity College. College Library is one of the five largest libraries in the world - its collections number about five million copies, including an extensive collection of ancient manuscripts.. There is a very rare books, such as handwritten Gospel. College brought worldwide fame stored in the local library Book of Kells - a unique piece of ancient Celtic monks, dating back to the year 800 AD. This illustrated book manuscript containing the four Gospels in Latin, introduction and interpretation decorated huge amount of color patterns and miniatures. Through skillful writing techniques and beauty made ornaments, patterns and miniatures, The Book of Kells is considered the most significant model of early medieval literature..
National Gallery of Ireland was founded in 1854, but is open to visitors only ten years later in 1864. Gallery has a large collection of Irish art, as well as the work of Italian and Dutch masters. At the beginning of its meeting numbered only 125 paintings, however, since 1866, the gallery began to use the annual grant for the purchase of works of art and by 1891, almost all the space of the gallery was filled with. In 1897, the Dowager Countess of Milltown donated to the museum about 200 paintings, which by 1903 had built a separate wing of the building. At the same time, the gallery was donated thirty one watercolor work of British painter, master of romantic landscape painter William Turner. At the same time, donors expressed the requirement that the paintings were exhibited only in January in order to protect them from the negative effects of sunlight, and today, despite modern technology, the gallery continues to limit the display of watercolors tradition.. In 1915 died Sir Hugh Percy Lane, the founder of the Dublin City Gallery of Modern Art, the National Gallery of leaving a large collection of paintings and part of his property. Part bequests passed galleries and the British playwright and writer George Bernard Shaw, who in his own words, spent a lot of time in the museum in the years of his youth.. In 1987, the institution was transferred to 14 unique works, including paintings by Pablo Picasso and Jack Butler Yeats. In the same year received the gift gallery of seventeen masterpieces of world art brush Diego Velazquez, Bartolome Esteban Murillo, Jan Vermeer and other masters..
Merrion Park Ckver - is a public park located in the city center. It is notable for the fact that it is set colorful monument to the famous writer Oscar Wilde. And in one of the houses located near the park, the writer was born and spent his childhood. Today this house is one of the literary departments of Trinity College..
Government building. Here are the Department of the Prime Minister, the Council Hall, which hosts governmental meetings, the Department of Finance and the Attorney General's office.. This building was the last major public building, built during the British rule in Ireland. The foundation stone of the building was laid by King Edward the Seventh in 1904. It was designed by the British architect Sir Aston Webb, later redesigned the facade of Buckingham Palace. The building was opened by King George the Fifth in 1911.. It housed the Royal College of Science, and in 1922 the building was reserved for the government offices.. In 1926, the Royal College of Science was attached to University College Dublin, and in 1989 moved to another building. Government building was renovated in 1991 and is used exclusively for the needs of the government..
St Stephen's Green is not only a popular vacation destination Dubliners, but also a famous landmark. The park is 27 acres. It was opened in 1664, but soon park lands were transferred to private ownership, and it was closed to the public. In 1877, at the initiative of Sir Guinness parliamentary decision, the park was reopened to visitors. Its present form it has acquired in the eighties of the nineteenth century, when there were broken numerous gardens and ponds laid.. The park has a garden for the blind, where scented plants grow especially with pointers in Braille. In the northern part there is a large lake with decorative pavilions and waterfowl. South St Stephen's Green is an open lawn with a stage, where in summer concerts. Also in the park are a lot of sculptures, statues and busts, including monuments Yeats and James Joyce.. In St Stephen's Green can be reached through the Arch shooters, built like a triumphal arch of Titus in Rome. The park is surrounded by old houses georgianskoy era. On the west is the Unitarian Church and the Royal College of Medicine. On the north side is a small 17th-century Huguenot Cemetery, the burial French fled persecution of Louis XIV. From the northwest corner of the park to the side of Trinity College is a pedestrian street Crafton Street, which is full of shops and cafes. To the south of the park is the Museum of Newman House..
Christ Church Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, is the main cathedral of Dublin and one of its main attractions. It is located in the historic part of the city and refers to the three oldest structures of this type, built on the banks of the River Liffey. Today Christ Church Cathedral is the Department of the two archbishops of the Irish Church: Anglican and Catholic.. The first Christian church built on the site Sitrig Silkenberd Viking king in 1031 for the first archbishop of Dublin - Donat.. In 1171, after King Henry II visited the Christmas service began active restructuring Cathedral. Wooden church was replaced by a stone, were built choir, transepts, and the Chapel of the Virgin Mary, St. Lo and St Edmund.. In the thirteenth century was completed chapel of St. Lawrence O'Toole. During these years he served here the second Archbishop of Dublin - Saint Lawrence. In 1230 was built a big part of the modern nave. In the XIX century was carried out major restoration of the church building. The facade and interior have been completely redone in the Victorian Gothic Revival style, added new buildings and the Synod Hall.. In 1875, the cathedral was added to the covered bridge across the street. It connects with the old Cathedral Synod Hall, which currently houses a museum of medieval urban life "Dublin.". Despite the large-scale restoration, preserved in the cathedral of Christ the original Norman and early English structure. To the south of the transept are the ruins of the XIII century. Original is also a nave with carved capitals, the transept and the choir of the XIII century.. Among the main attractions of the cathedral can be identified the tomb of Richard de Clare with an impressive knight mummy, tombs graph Kildare and Sir Henry Chira, a monument to Sir Henry Sidney, as well as the Chapel of St. Lawrence O'Toole, the center of which is an iron heart-shaped reliquary containing the embalmed heart . Also of note is the cathedral crypt, is the oldest structure in Dublin. It contains treasures of the temple of Christ, manuscripts, tabernacle, candlesticks and other artifacts.. Of interesting events that took place in the cathedral, it should be noted here carried out in 1487 coronation pretender Lambert Simnel as King Edward VI, who unsuccessfully tried to overthrow King Henry VII..
St. Patrick's Cathedral is the largest and beautiful cathedral in Ireland. It was built in the twelfth century around a sacred spring St. Patrick's Day, where at one time, this legendary saint, patron of Ireland and all Irish baptized locals. Over time, near the cathedral, a whole complex of buildings, including the Archbishop's Palace. In more recent times, the cathedral famous for that one time he was rector of writer Jonathan Swift, famous worldwide for his work "Gulliver's Travels". Inside the temple, you will find an exposition devoted to Jonathan Swift, which exhibits his works, death mask, table, chair, personal objects.. From 1783 to 1871 served as the Cathedral Chapel of the Order of St. Patrick's brilliantly. There ceremony was held knighted. The cathedral is still possible to see the arms of the Knights of dedicated. Of particular interest is the architecture of the Cathedral. Built in the Gothic Revival style simple, he attracts attention with its finish, which was held for the Victorian era. The massive building of the cathedral is impressive for its size, and its spiky spire became one of the most recognizable landmarks of the city. Installed on the tower of the cathedral one of the first public clock in Dublin, dating from the sixteenth century.. Today the cathedral is the venue for many national public ceremonies. Every year in November, is celebrated here Irish Memorial Day. Just Cathedral repeatedly used as a place of farewell and funeral of Presidents of Ireland..
Church of St. Owen - one of the oldest buildings in Dublin. She founded in the twelfth century and is dedicated to the bishop of VII century, the patron saint of Normandy Owen. The building today is preserved ruins, however, in the aisle still pass Anglican service. Church Gate, dating from the mid XIII century - the only thing that remains of the medieval city gates of Dublin.. The church is located in the commercial and industrial center of the medieval Dublin. In the first half of the XV century, it was organized by the Guild of St. Anne - the most influential Catholic organization in Dublin, which in spite of persecution, which was subjected to the Irish Anglican Church, lasted until the XVIII century.. In the gallery of the church put up some interesting artifacts - instruments used different medieval masters, among them - a drill that was used barbers and surgeons in operations to craniotomy, and - a tool for cauterization, it was heated in a hot fire and then burned the wound to stop . In the gallery of the church installed gravestone related to the ninth century. It is called "supernatural guardian" of the church, because it was postponed several times in different places away from the church, but she somehow mysteriously still returned to his seat.. In the tower of the church is a monument to Lord Portlesteru and his wife. In the chapel of St. Anne, you can see an exhibition of tombstones sixteenth to eighteenth centuries.
The Catholic Church of Saints John and Augustine. It was named in honor of St. Augustine and St. John the Baptist, but popularly known as the Church of John Lane. It was founded in 1874 on the site of St John's Hospital, founded in 1182. Steeple of the church, whose height is 61 meters, is the highest in the city.
Beer Museum "Guinness" - one of the most visited attractions of Ireland's capital. Official name - "Brewery at the gates of St. James'. On seven floors of the former housing brewery that produces the famous dark Irish beer brand "Guinness", unfolded extensive exhibition devoted to beer. The brewery was founded in 1759 by Arthur Guinness, whose name became the title of the famous beers and hallmark of Ireland.. In the museum you can learn a lot from the history of the brewing company, as well as to become a direct participant in the creation of this delicious drink at a certain time by pressing the button on the unit. Also in the museum you can taste different varieties of the famous beer.. On the ground floor of the museum is a gift shop that sells chocolates and sweets with beer filling. On the third floor are presented posters and advertising posters, as well as a collection of beer bottles. On the top floor is a bar and an observation deck, which offers a beautiful view of the company and the city..
Gaol opened in 1796. During those 130 years, it housed a prison, it was visited by many people involved in the struggle for Irish independence, including Robert Emmet and Charles Stewart Parnell. The last prisoners became Eamon de Valera, he was released July 16, 1924.. Outside the prison is the chapel where Joseph Plunkett married Grace Gifford just hours before the shooting for participation in rebellion in 1916. Here you can see and the prison yard, where seriously wounded comrade Plunkett - James Connolly, did not stay on his feet, tied to a chair shot. In local chambers contained participants uprisings in 1798, 1803, 1848 and 1867. In the museum there are personal belongings of some former prisoners and descriptions of various events in the prison until it was closed in 1924..
Irish Museum of Modern Art is located in a place known for a thousand years before all its cemetery. It is here, the Irish king Brian Boru, who finally defeated the Vikings in 1014 at the Battle of Clontarf, buried his son and grandson after this battle.. But the building itself is the current Museum of Modern Art was incorporated in 1680 as a military hospital Kilmeynhen. It was built on the site of a medieval hospital and monastery "of the Knights of St. John Erusalimskaya", founded in 1174.. Kilmaynhem designed hospital building as the old library Dublin library Marsha, William Robinson inspired by the Parisian hospital for disabled. In 1991, the former living quarters of the hospital turned to the Irish Museum of Modern Art. His exhibition is a collection of Irish and international art of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. Entrance to the territory of the historic architectural complex is the "Tower of Richmond". It was moved to this place in 1847, when it became interfere reopen rail traffic in the area of the railway station Hyuston.. Special attention is given a magnificent park, developed for the museum. Since the beginning of operation of the hospital, this park was used as a garden for growing medicinal plants, then he was transferred to the chief doctor of the hospital for personal use. Over time, the garden was made gorgeous landscaping in the French style, after which it was opened to the public..
Railway Station Houston - one of the main railway stations of Ireland. It was opened August 4, 1846 and was originally called Kingsbridge because of its proximity to the Kingsbridge - the bridge over the River Liffey. Its present name the station received in 1966..
National museum of decorative arts and the history of Ireland is the visitors collections of weapons, furniture, silver, ceramics and glass, as well as examples of national costumes Ireland. The museum is housed in a former army barracks Collins. The building was built in 1702, but finished building in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. In December 1988, at the governmental level, it was decided to close the barracks. In September 1993, began to develop plans to establish additional offices here of the National Museum of Ireland, and in 1997 opened the Museum of Decorative Arts. Permanent collection of the museum of arts and crafts located in the galleries, occupying an area the size of one thousand seven hundred square meters. Irish silver collection, presented at the museum, is one of the largest in the world and traces the development of crafts jewelry since the beginning of the XVII century to the present day. The exhibition shows the development of the Irish clothing fashion for centuries.. Of particular interest is an exhibition devoted to the Irish military history, including the siege of Dublin, Easter 1916 uprising and civil war.
St. Michael's Church was built in 1686 on the site of a Viking church, dating back to 1096. Since then, the interior of the church remained practically unchanged. Not very remarkable facade of the church is filled luxurious interior. Particular attention should be paid to the magnificent carving of choirs. Of great interest is the body in 1724, which played a great Handel, as well as so-called "Chair to repent" sitting where, notorious sinners brought recantation. On the floor near the altar of the church set skull belonging, as they say, Oliver Cromwell himself. The main attraction of St. Michael's Church - the power of the Norman knights.. Resting in the cellars of the temple vosemsotletnie might well preserved thanks to swamp gas, temperature constancy and features masonry. Among the attractions of the basement is to provide power Norman Crusader, had lain under the St. Michael's Church more than 800 years. Knight was so high that it does not fit the body in the coffin and the corpse just cut off the legs. At the cemetery, the church is the unmarked grave. It is believed that it remains of a member of society "United Irishmen" Robert Emmet, who led a revolt in 1803. Also, it is assumed that the leaders of the uprising were buried here in 1798 the brothers Henry and John Shira..
Parnell Square is an important area of Dublin Gregorian. Previously, it had the name Rutland area, but was renamed in honor of Charles Stewart Parnell. Surrounded on three sides by terraces preserved intact Gregorian houses, most of the southern half of the area and its busy center Rotunda Hospital, founded in the XVIII century. In the southeastern part of the square is the entrance to the theater, which was opened at the time at the hospital within the first project in Europe postpartum staff. In the northern part of the square is the Gallery "Hugh Lane", which was built in the era of the Gregorian Lord Charlemont. In this part of the area is also located Dublin Writers Museum and the Irish Writers Centre. There is also a Gothic cathedral, built in 1860 by Alexander and presented them Findleyterom Presbyterian Church. James Joyce Centre is also located nearby, and neighboring Mountjoy Square are the richest mansions Gregorian Dublin. In the northern part of Parnell Square before the eyes of visitors appears "Garden of Remembrance" - a monument to all the victims of the Anglo-Irish War, which took place from 1919 to 1922. Also in the northern part of Parnell Square, between the gallery "Hugh Lane" and the Museum of writers, is one of the most famous restaurants in Dublin - "Hedvan". In the southern part of the area is bar Conway, where Pierce gave the British army after the Easter Rising in 1916.
Dublin Writers Museum is dedicated to the vast literary heritage of Ireland and is a landmark of the capital. The idea of creating a museum owned by journalist Maurice Gorham. The museum contains books, letters, portraits and personal belongings of all the outstanding Irish writers over the past 300 years. In the two halls of the museum presents the history of Irish literature from its beginnings to the present. The first room is dedicated to Irish literature until the end of the XIX century and the beginning of the literary renaissance. The second room - great writers of the XX century. Here you will find out that Oscar Wilde was a promising boxer during his studies at Trinity College, and Samuel Beckett could become a famous cricketer. Also of interest is the museum building itself, a beautiful mansion of the XVIII century Gregorian. The museum has exhibition halls, a library, a lunchtime theater works, there is a specialized bookstore and café for visitors.