St. Michael's Church, Hamburg
Ludwig-Erhard-Straße 20, 20459 Hamburg, Germany
St. Michael's Church - is the main Protestant church in Hamburg and one of the most significant architectural structures in Germany, which is the main symbol of the city. Temple in the late Baroque style, dedicated to the Archangel Michael, also known as the "Great Michael". The church is one of the main landmarks of the city. Once its tower served as a beacon for arriving ships in the Port of Hamburg. The first church in the Gothic style was built on this place in 1669. However, in 1750 as a result of a lightning strike is completely burned. The second church, built in 1762, was destroyed by another fire in 1906. In 1912 it was restored to the old drawings. During the Second World War, the church was destroyed again, moreover destroyed the largest organ in the world which once played the son of Johann Sebastian Bach. The present church of St. Michael is a vivid example of structures built at the junction of two eras - Baroque and Classicism. Above the main portal of the temple has a large bronze statue of the Archangel Michael defeating the devil. Steeple of the church of St. Michael, having a height 132 meters, is the second highest in Hamburg. At an altitude of 106 meters is an observation platform, which can be reached by lift or on foot, breaking the 453 level. The clock on the bell tower - the largest in Germany. Their diameter is eight meters. Length big arrow - almost five meters, a little - more than three and a half meters. Weight of each hand - about a hundred and thirty pounds. In 2008, the image of St. Michael Church in Hamburg was placed on the reverse of the commemorative 2 euro coin from the series "States of Germany" as a symbol of the federal state of Hamburg.