Now you and I are in the Tiergarten Park - the largest park in Berlin. Its area - 210 hectares, making it much more of the same Hyde Park in London. It is located in the eponymous district of Berlin, which also features the Berlin Zoo, culture forum and a number of other notable places. The history of the park dates back to the sixteenth century, when there were royal hunting grounds. Today - it is a favorite place of citizens and tourists.. In the northern part of the park is Bellevue Palace - residence of the German President. Bellevue Palace, situated on the banks of the River Spree, which was built in 1786 by architect Michael Philip Bowman as the summer residence of Prince August Ferdinand, the younger brother of the Prussian King Frederick II.. Also in the Tiergarten park, in the street on June 17 is a Soviet memorial to the fallen soldiers.. Another attraction of the park is a carillon - a big hand musical instrument, located in the north-eastern part of the park, near the Office, next to the House of World Cultures. It was established in 1987 and consists of sixty-eight bells weighing 48 tons, connected to the keyboard. The largest bell weighs 7.8 tons here..
Now in front of you see one of the main attractions of the Tiergarten park, set in the very center on the area of Big Star - Arc column.. The author of the project, the renowned German architect Heinrich Strack, a student of Karl Friedrich Schinkel. Author figure crowning the tower - one of the great sculptors of the German Friedrich Drake.. The column was built on the orders of William I in honor of the victories of Prussia in the Danish war of one thousand and sixty-four, the Austro-Prussian war of one thousand eight hundred and sixty-six, and the Franco-Prussian war of one thousand eight hundred and seventy first year. On the granite base of bronze reliefs depict battle scenes depicting the battles in these wars. The column was opened September 2, 1873 on the third anniversary of the victory in the Battle of Sedan. At the top of the column is a sculpture of the goddess of victory Victoria.. Initially, the Victory Column was on the Place Royale (now that's an area in front of the Reichstag). In 1939, the colony was transferred to the area of Big Star, where he is currently. Today, the monument is one of the most famous tourist attractions in Berlin. At the height of sorokavosmimetrovoy observation deck and inside the tower also houses a museum..
Right now you can see the Berlin Zoo. It is the oldest and by far, the famous zoo in Germany. It covers an area of thirty-five acres and is one of the biggest zoos in Germany. None of the zoo world is not such a number of animal species. It is home to about fifteen thousand animals. Zoo opened the first of August one thousand eight hundred and forty-four, and was the first zoo in Germany and the ninth in the world. Berlin Zoo is the main attractions of Berlin, together with the adjacent aquarium, over three floors which includes not only fish, but also reptiles, amphibians, insects and invertebrates.
Left in front of you see the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. It was built by the architect Franz Svechten in 1895 in honor of the first German Emperor Wilhelm I on behalf of his grandson, the last German Kaiser Wilhelm II. For a long time it was the tallest church in Berlin. After a devastating bombing in 1943 only ruins of the tower of the memorial church. After the war, the church became a symbol of the rebirth of West Berlin.. Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church is world famous for its blue glowing glass, so called Blue Church. Three thousand glowing blue stained glass windows give the space an atmosphere. Above the altar of the church hangs a figure ascended Christ, founded by Charles Hemmeterom a height of 4.6 meters and a weight of nearly 6 quintals, made of an alloy of copper and zinc.. For more than 40 years on the wall of the church Kaiser Wilhelm hanging "Stalingrad Madonna".. This picture Pastor Kurt Roybera, executed in charcoal on the back of the Soviet card - a reminder of the Second World War. On the lower floor of the church tower, an exhibition on the history of this temple.. Today, the church is the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial in memory of the Second World War and a symbol of the western part of stolitsyGermanii..
Trading House West or abbreviated Ka-De-Vere is Europe's largest trading house. It was built in 1905 and since then is considered the paradise for shopping. Leading trading house in Germany and one of the main attractions of the city is among the most important department stores of the world, offering its customers exquisite products from around the world - from the fashionable Parisian costumes to exotic gifts of the Southern Seas. On eight floors of the area of 60 thousand square meters is a full palette of high quality luxury goods world's leading manufacturers. There is more than a quarter million SKUs, about five hundred varieties of bread and almost eighteen hundred names of cheeses. Daily department store attracts more than 50,000 visitors..
Potsdamer Platz - one of the most legendary places in Berlin. Once upon a time it stood at the Potsdam Gate, and was a road to Potsdam. At one time, the area became famous for the fact that it is there that in 1924 was installed Europe's first traffic light, which was brought from New York. Some believe that Europe's first electric light was also installed at Potsdamer Platz. Before the Second World War in the area and in the adjacent blocks located government offices, it was the area of entertainment venues and a major transportation hub. After the erection in 1961, the Berlin Wall was in the middle area of the border zone. To this day, there remain some elements of the Berlin Wall, which formed the so-called Berlin Wall Memorial.. Today, Potsdamer Platz - the most modern place in Berlin. She built up by modern high-rise buildings, including office buildings Debis, Sony and the Sony Centre. The Sony Centre for the total area of one hundred and thirty two thousand square meters located offices and apartments, a cinema, leisure center. Opposite the center is a red Walk of Fame, which opened in 2010. There have already been laid a few stars of German cinema, the first of which was Marlene Dietrich..
Martin Gropius House, built in 1881 - is the exhibition center of international standard. Here each year by all the most important exhibitions in Berlin. It is the most beautiful city of the fairgrounds.. The museum has three floors. Located on the first temporary exhibition, where works by modern masters. On the second - Berlin Gallery which exhibits tell the history of the capital city during the nineteenth century to the present day. The third floor is dedicated to montages, collages and drawings by Raoul Hausmann, as well as works by Otto Dix - one of the best-known German Expressionist.
German Cathedral - one of the landmarks of Berlin, located at the Gendarmenmarkt. It was erected in 1708. And in 1785 during a large-scale restructuring of the Gendarmenmarkt, held by order of Frederick II, was built the famous dome of the cathedral tower German. The author of the project was Carl von Gontard.. During the bombing of Berlin, the cathedral was almost completely demolished and rebuilt only in 1988. The opening of the German cathedral took place in 1996, but he is not an active. Today it is a museum of the German Bundestag, which tells the history of the German parliamentary system..
French Cathedral was built on the Gendarmenmarkt square in 1705 by French Huguenots, who formed while a quarter of the population of Berlin. At the end of the eighteenth century as a result of the famous reconstruction of the area by order of the Prussian monarch crowned French Cathedral dome, making it look like standing near German Cathedral.. Today, he is an active church. It hosts the service of the Evangelical Church and Museum is Huguenots..
Alex - the second largest shopping center in Berlin, opened dvennadtsatogo September, two thousand and seven. On a total area of 56,200 square meters is located about 180 shops and 17 restaurants that are visited monthly by more than a million visitors. As Alex is the world's largest computer-controlled model railway..
Red Town Hall, so named for its red brick facade - one of the attractions of one of the most famous squares in Berlin - Alexanderplatz. It was built in 1869 in Renaissance style by architect Wezeman. In the Red Town Hall, newly rebuilt after the Second World War, in 1958 settled Magistrate of East Berlin. Today it is the office Governing Mayor of Berlin and the Berlin Senate..
Alexanderplatz - one of the most famous squares in Berlin. In 1805, the site was a large market area, which was later named in honor of the Russian Emperor Alexander the Great.. The Alexanderplatz square is a symbol of East Berlin. At its center is a television tower, which is the hallmark of Berlin. At the same time - this is the memory of the now defunct State of the GDR. TV tower 368 meters - the tallest building in Berlin, and the fourth highest tower in Europe. It can be seen from every corner of the city. On the tower is an observation platform from which one can see the whole of Berlin, as well as coffee - coffee is the most visited in Berlin. It revolves around the axis of the tower, making one turn for half an hour. This allows you to enjoy the panoramic view of Berlin through the huge windows, sitting at a table.. Also in the center of the square is a fountain of Neptune - god of the sea. This is one of the oldest and most beautiful fountains of the city. His appearance must fountain great Karl Friedrich Schinkel. For the implementation of this idea took sculptor Reinhold Begas. The fountain was donated by Kaiser Wilhelm II Berlin magistrate and was inaugurated by the first of November one thousand eight hundred and ninety-one.. Sculptures seriously damaged during the war. In 1969, the renovated Neptune fountain was installed on the vacant lot at the new location.. Also on the square is a large clock, which can determine the time, in many countries, and the fountain that used to be called "Friendship of Peoples"..
Museum Island is considered one of the main attractions of the city and is a constellation of famous museums of Berlin, located in the northern part of the island Shpreeinzel on the Spree River, which flows through the whole of Berlin. Museum Island is the center of attraction for tourists and art lovers from around the world. Its history began in 1797, when the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm II supported the idea of creating a museum on Shpreeinzel for antique art collections and those vekov.Pervym Museum on Museum Island and at the same time the first public museum of Prussia was built in 1830, the Old Museum. In 1859 he opened the Prussian royal Museum (now the New Museum). In 1876, followed by the opening of the National Gallery (now known as Old National Gallery). In 1904, at the nose of the island opened the Kaiser Friedrich Museum (now the Bode Museum, which was renamed in 1960 in honor of the German art historian Wilhelm von Bode). In 1930, on Museum Island there was a building Pergamon Museum. So the name "Museum Island" is rooted in the seventies of the eighteenth century. Since 1999, a unique architectural and cultural ensemble included in the UNESCO World Heritage Site..
We are now on the Boulevard Unter den Linden, through the center of Berlin. He is the most famous street in Berlin, and probably one of the most famous in the world along with Broadway and Piccadilly. The name of the boulevard was named in honor of two rows of lime trees planted on the sides of the pedestrian mall and along the road lanes. Unter den Linden boulevard stretches from Palace Square and the Lustgarten, crossing the Spree River, west to the Brandenburg Gate. Unter den Linden in the sixteenth century was a horse trail leading from Berlin to the hunting grounds of the castle, on the site of today's Tiergarten park. As soon as Berlin grew, Unter den Linden turned into the main street of the city. In the time of Frederick the Second, it was built up with ceremonial buildings. In the eighteenth century, the street has gained much popularity and has since become regarded as the main promenade Berlin. In 1851, the monument was erected Frederick II.. Today the street preserves the status of the main pedestrian artery of the German capital. Probably no one tourist who arrives in Berlin, will not pass it, because there are many key attractions of the city - the Brandenburg Gate, the Berlin State Opera, Humboldt University after, the Berlin Cathedral and a few others..
The Brandenburg Gate is the most famous symbol of Berlin and Germany. For many years they served as a symbol of the division of Germany and Berlin, and c 1989 after the fall of the Berlin Wall became the embodiment of the country's reunification.. The history of the Brandenburg Gate has over 200 years. Their original name - Gateway to the world. In 1791, at the entrance to the German Emperor Friedrich Wilhelm decided to erect a gate, they become part of the wall that surrounded Berlin. The architect of the Brandenburg Gate was Carl Gotthard Langhans. At the top of the bridge is ancient chariot driven goddess of Victory, drawn by four horses. It is the work of the famous German sculptor Johann Gottfried Schadow.. After the defeat of Prussia in the war against France Quadriga on the orders of Napoleon was taken to Paris, where it was returned after the wars of liberation in its place.. During World War II, the Brandenburg Gate were seriously damaged, Quadriga was completely destroyed. In 1956, the gate was restored quadriga restored only by 1958. From 1945 to 1957 at Quadriga waving flag of the USSR, which was then replaced by the flag of the GDR.. Since 1961, the passage through the gate barred the Berlin Wall. Access gate was reopened only after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Since then, they are a symbol of the reunification of Germany..
The Reichstag building - the famous historical building, which is perhaps the most popular tourist attraction in Berlin. It was built for the first parliament of the German Empire. Construction began in 1884, when Kaiser Wilhelm I and lasted ten years. In this building the Reichstag met until 1933, when it burned down in a fire.. After that, the building was used for propaganda meetings, and after 1939 - for military purposes.. In 1945, during the Battle of Berlin, Soviet troops were storming the Reichstag. Thirtieth day of April one thousand nine hundred and forty-five, was hoisted on the Reichstag Victory Banner. On the walls of the Reichstag, Soviet soldiers left many inscriptions, some of which (including the meeting room) is preserved and retained restorations of the building. After the war, the building was almost completely destroyed.. Later it was rebuilt in 1973 and was used as an exposition of historical exhibits, as well as for executive meetings and one-time events.. After the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reunification of Germany, the fourth of October, one thousand nine hundred ninety years old, the day after the effective date of the reunification of Germany, the Reichstag, the first meeting of the first all-German Bundestag.. The building was later remodeled by the world renowned architect Norman Foster. Now here sits the German parliament - the Bundestag, and guided tours..
Berlin Central Station - the largest and most modern train station in Europe and the main train station in Berlin. It was inaugurated on the FIFA World Cup May 26, 2006. Earlier this place was located Lehrter station, which was destroyed during the Second World War. The main station is Peron on five levels and 14 routes, where trains arrive and depart in the four cardinal. Every day there are 225 long-distance trains, 325 - local traffic and a six hundred urban electric trains..