Cathedral of the Assumption - it is the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Finland Helsinki diocese and iconic sights of Helsinki. Today it is the largest Orthodox cathedral in North and West Europe. The cathedral was designed by the Russian architect Gornostaeva in the pseudo-style in 1868, when Finland was part of the Russian Empire. Uspensky Cathedral is located in the historical center of Helsinki at the base of the peninsula Katayanokka, on a high cliff. From the observation platform around the cathedral has a beautiful view of the city..
Senate Square - this is the main area of Helsinki, which is his "calling card". She was defeated in the late Classical style after joining Finland in the Russian Empire. The surrounding area of the building were built in the period from 1818 to 1852.. In the center of the square stands a monument to the Russian Emperor Alexander II. It was established in 1894 in recognition of the emperor, who gives autonomy to the Principality of Finland. Alexander II in 1863 coined the Finnish mark and the Finnish government made a par with the Swedish. One of the central structures of the Senate Square is the building of the Council of State, built in 1822 as a building to house the supreme organ of local government - the country of the Imperial Senate. Today, the building is the current government of the country. Senate Square is a unique attraction that attracts the attention of tourists and visitors.. In November 2012 during archaeological excavations in the area were found about 260 human burials belonging to the seventeenth-eighteenth centuries, when this place was the church of St. Eleanor's..
The main decoration of the Senate Square and Helsinki is a symbol of the Cathedral - the main church of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland. It was built in 1852 and originally named Nikolaev, as was dedicated to St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, is the patron saint of the reigning Emperor Nicholas I, who took part in the construction of the cathedral. The roof of the cathedral at the request of Emperor Nicholas was decorated with statues of the twelve apostles of zinc. He also ordered the construction of a large granite staircase that descends from the cathedral to the Senate Square. In the church you can see the paintings of religious subjects of the Russian-German artist Timothy A. von Neff, in particular, presented by the Emperor to decorate the altar area, as well as statues of the major figures of Lutheranism - the founder of Protestantism, Martin Luther, humanist and theorist Lutheran Philip Melanchthon and the creator of the written Finnish language . Today, in addition to the usual services are held at the Cathedral of solemn services for the University and Parliament, as well as the annual solemn services on the occasion of Independence Day of Finland. In the crypt of the cathedral in the summer concerts and exhibitions.
Havis Amanda Fountain - famous landmark and symbol of the capital of Finland. It is decorated with the figure of a naked sea nymphs, known in Helsinki under the name Manta. Sculpture for the fountain was commissioned in 1904 by the City Council of Helsinki Finnish sculptor Ville Valgrenu living and working in Paris. It was from there he sent a sculpture of the sea in Helsinki. The model for the sculpture was nineteen French Marseille Delkin.. The fountain was installed in front of the town hall in the market square in Helsinki. It was opened in September 1908. As expected, the fountain sculpture caused outrage among local residents and feminist women's organizations for its "obscene view". But the indignation gradually quieted down, and the fountain has become the face of the city.. Title fountain assigned to it by the author Ville Vilgrenom, translated from Finnish as "Mermaid". But the stick is another name given to a Swedish newspaper in Helsinki "Havis Amanda", which translated from Swedish means "sea nymph". As with any tourist attraction, the fountain Havis Amanda associated with a number of customs and superstitions. According to legend, the fountain is attributed to a wonderful property increase potency in men. It is enough to wash with water from the fountain, and three times to say in Finnish word "love.".
Olympic terminal is in the southern port from where ferries leave regularly in Stockholm. It was built in 1952 for the Summer Olympic Games, held in Helsinki. Each year, the terminal serves more than two million passengers a year. Terminal building located currency exchange, ATM machine and a café..
Kayvopusto - one of the oldest and most famous parks of Finland. He was defeated by the sea in the thirties of the nineteenth century, when the Commerce Adviser Henrik von Borgström organized here resort. Thousands of representatives of Russian high society came to take baths in the "Kaivopuisto". In 1886, the area of the park became the property of the city. During the popularity of the park were built many houses, which are now housed in museums and embassies of different countries.. One of the attractions of the park Kayvopusto Marshal Mannerheim Museum is located in the house where from 1924 to 1951, Marshal Mannerheim lived - a prominent politician and military leader, had a tremendous impact on the history of independent Finland. For many years he headed the armed forces of Finland, and from 1944 to 1946 served as president of the country. The museum presents materials on Mannerheim service in the Russian army and his tenure as chief of the armed forces of Finland, Marshal portraits of ancestors, gifts and greetings that Mannerheim received from the state and private persons. In addition the museum has a unique collection of awards and numerous hunting trophies and souvenirs brought back from trips abroad by Mannerheim. A special place in the museum is an extensive personal library marshal.. Also in the park "Kaivopuisto" is a gallery of Professor Fredrik Chyugneusa, which shows the nineteenth century Finnish art. At the highest point of the park is located Ursa Observatory - another of the attractions of the beautiful park, where in summer you can look at the sun through special filters, and winter - a telescope at the stars and the moon.. Currently Kaivopuisto is a popular diplomatic area of the city. The reserve is located in the north building of many embassies of Russia, United States, Estonia, Spain, France, the Netherlands and the UK.. In addition the park is a favorite place for the people of Helsinki. It regularly hosts concerts and other large-scale events, as well as National Holiday.
Art Museum Bluebelly - this is the only art museum in Finland in which funds is the biggest collection of European art, the fourteenth to nineteenth centuries.. The museum was founded in 1921, based on the collection pivopromyshlennikov Bluebelly and placed them in a family house on the street Boulevardi, built in 1842, the first owner of the brewing company Sinebrukhov, commerce adviser Nikolai Petrovich Bluebelly.. In 1817, Nikolai Sinebrukhov opens in Helsinki brewing business, acquires a license for the supply of alcohol in Finland, in 1819 opened a brewery, and soon became one of the richest people in Finland and Russia. In 1848, the case inherits his younger brother Paul. He has not only expanded the family business, but gradually began to collect works of art, including porcelain, antique furniture, Russian icons. In 1917, during the revolution Paul Sinebrukhov dies, and in 1921 under the will of his widow Fanny's art collection goes to the Finnish government, becoming the first museum in Finland.. Today, on the first floor of the museum holds art exhibitions. On the second floor living quarters are Bluebelly Paul and his wife, Fanny Grand Prix with original furnishings, office miniatures and other art collections of the Museum. A special place in the collection of art works of Paul and Fanny Bluebelly take portraits of Swedish seventeenth-eighteenth centuries, as well as the Dutch and Flemish painting of the seventeenth century.. The museum also features works by Italian, French, German, Spanish and English masters: Lucas Cranach the Elder, Rembrandt, Tiepolo, Jan van Goyen, Alexander Roslin, a significant collection of graphics and collection of miniatures.. Museums repeatedly replenished by private donations, investments and acquisitions of own museum. The oldest deed of gift collection - a collection of Baron Otto Wilhelm Klinkovstrema, which was donated to the Art Society of Finland in 1851. Among the gifts collection also includes meetings Antell, Yale, Hjalmar Linda and Karl von Haartman..
Kamppi Shopping Centre - is a shopping and entertainment complex, and at the same time transport terminal with a convenient location in the center of Helsinki. It is located on the Metro Station and covers an area of one hundred thirty-five thousand square meters. In Kamppi are the world's best brands and the Finnish. On several floors of the building housed about 150 stores, banks, travel agencies and a couple dozen cafes, restaurants and fast food.. On the ground floors of the bus station, from which daily sent about 900 urban and 700 intercity buses.. An underground walkway connects to the Kamppi Shopping Centre Forum and the railway station..
Tennis Palace. It was built in 1938 by architect Lundstrem. The building was erected as an important playground for the Summer Olympic Games in 1940, which had to be canceled because of the outbreak of World War II. They spent only in 1952. Then there were the competitions in basketball.. In 1999, the Palace was reconstructed and turned into a center of culture and entertainment. Here there was a cinema, two museums, shops and restaurants. In Art Museum, located in the palace were changed domestic and international exhibitions featuring art from different periods.
Olympic Stadium - the largest sports arena in Finland and one of the most beautiful stadiums in the world. This grand stadium was built for the Olympic Games in 1940, which did not happen due to the outbreak of the Second World War. Only 12 years later, Olympic Stadium was the main arena of the fifteenth of the Summer Olympic Games in 1952.. Currently, the stadium held national and international sporting events and outdoor concerts. The main attraction of the stadium is an observation tower with stunning views of the surrounding Helsinki. It has a height of 72 meters 71 centimeters in honor of Matti Järvinen record in the javelin at the Olympic Games in 1932.. Also on the premises is the Museum of the Olympic stadium sport where you can get acquainted with the history of the sport in Finland.
The Finnish National Opera - a theater of opera and ballet of high international level, the leading musical theater Finland.. The Finnish National Opera was founded in 1911 on the basis of the Finnish National Theatre, and in autumn 1921 - Finnish National Ballet. Several decades of opera and ballet performances were staged at the site of the Alexander Theatre, and only in 1993 the Finnish National Opera moved to its own building designed by Finnish architect Eero Hyuvyamyaki, Jukka Karhunen, and Risto Parkkinena. The theater has two halls. The large main hall with 1,350 seats is used for performances, and in the hall "Almiholl" with a varying number of seats held chamber concerts, as well as briefings and conferences.. During the theater season, which lasts from August to June, at the theater runs about three hundred performances, 190 of them - on the main stage. Also in the building of the Opera Ballet school operates, which teaches classical ballet..
Palace "Finland". The building was built in 1971 by the famous architect Alvar Aalto and is used for conferences, seminars, exhibitions and concerts. In the Palace has repeatedly held international conferences. Every year it takes about ten concerts. Often in the rooms of the palace concerts and rehearsals of the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra.
The National Museum of Finland was opened to visitors in 1916. The giant building erected specifically to house the museum exhibits from 1905 to 1910, and 6 years was spent on preparation of exposures.. The museum building is considered the prototype of a new style of Finnish Architecture - National Romanticism. It is styled with a knight's castle with elements of Finnish medieval churches. The museum contains a certificate of Finnish history from the Stone Age and ending our days. The exhibition of the National Museum is divided into six parts. It presents a collection of coins, medals, orders and decorations, silver, jewelry and weapons. Many of the artifacts found during archaeological excavations in Finland.. On the ground floor of the museum there is the early history of Finland: Stone, Bronze and Iron Ages. Here you will find a lot of archaeological finds. The second floor is devoted to the Middle Ages, the Swedish domination and church creativity. The exhibits tell about the life and work in these times. Costumes, coins, crafts and art paintings depicting the life of people at different times - all this can be seen in the museum. The National Museum is often carried out short-term exhibitions, the main theme of which - local history, ethnography and cultural heritage of Finland..
The magnificent building of the Parliament, located on the Avenue of Mannerheim, built in 1931 in the style of monumental classicism as a symbol of the independence of Finland, and is perhaps the most famous building in the country. Was selected for the construction of a singular building material with which wanted to emphasize the importance of the building as the location for the highest state body Finland. In front of the parliament sculptures of the first presidents of independent Finland Stolberg and Svinhufvud.. Those interested can check out the Parliament building during excursions. In addition, the public may attend the plenary sessions of the Parliament.
Museum of Contemporary Art "Kiasma" - the most visited museum in Finland. The museum building was designed and planned for forty years. It was only in the spring of 1998 it was opened to the public. The building of the museum, according to the project of the American architect Steven Holl, in itself is an exhibit. This is a fancy building with white ramps, sloping walls and a maze of dark rooms that come alive and interactive video installation art on computer screens. The main feature of a glass building - the ability to pass maximum light. West glass facade of the building is very nicely lit from within at night. This is to ensure that the people on the street could see what's going on in the building.. "Kiasma" is not like most traditional museums. Here you can touch everything, go everywhere, all the press and everywhere look. Here you can see the exhibition, to wander in the museum bookstore, just look through art books and exhibition catalogs to see in the hall with Internet access. You can have lunch or a cup of coffee in a cafe Kiasma and you can even leave the baby in the nursery. Kiasma - it's not just a museum in the traditional sense. It is also an active and multifaceted cultural center that holds a lot of music, theater, dance, literary events, the active educational activities are organized seminars, lectures and master classes. The museum has a permanent exhibition there, it replaces temporary thematic exhibitions held once a year. Temporary exhibitions of the museum's own collection can be seen only partially. The museum contains over 4,000 exhibits of contemporary art Finnish, Baltic, Russian and Northern European artists since 1960. The museum has the best collection of American artists of the minimalist in Europe, and almost all the congregation of the controversial works of the famous Finnish artist Kalervo pals.. Collection and special exhibitions include spatial works, photographs, media art, painting.
Glass Palace - this is an office building located in Kamppi. It was built in 1930 on the site of the destroyed during the Civil War in 1918 Turkuskoy barracks and was intended for business events. Engaged in the construction of the building, three young architects - Viljo Revell, Heimo Rihimeki and Niilo Kokko.. The activity of Glass Palace began in 1936 and is today one of the most famous buildings in the functionalist style of Helsinki. There are offices of various famous brands, Helsinki City Library, media center, where you can learn about the latest developments in the field of IT-technologies, gallery, cinema, online library, cafes and restaurants as well as shops..
The Presidential Palace - this is a working residence of the President of Finland.. The building was built in 1820 by architect Per Granstedta for the wealthy merchant Helsingfors - Johan Heydenshtrauha.. In 1837 the house was bought by the government for use as a residence of the Governor-General of Finland, but at the request of Emperor Nicholas I, the building was given to the royal residence.. During the First World War in October 1915 in the building temporarily housed a military hospital. From March 1917 to April 1918 in the palace was the Executive Committee of the City Council of Workers' and Soldiers Helsinki.. In the second half of 1918, the mansion has officially renamed the Presidential Palace. Prior to 1993, the building served as both a living and working residence of the President of Finland, has not yet been built residential residence Mäntyniemi in Meilahti, on the Bay of Teelenlahti.. Today, the presidential residence is only used for formal events, summits and celebrations.
Helsinki Central Station - is a major transportation hub in the capital region of Finland and the renowned architectural monument. It was built in the period from 1904 to 1914, the Finnish architect Eliel Saarinen in Art Nouveau style. The spectacular building of the station is one of the most famous works of Finnish Architecture.. From Helsinki Central Station are sent as commuter trains and long distance trains. On either side of the station, the bus station, from where buses depart for the airport and port terminals Vantaa. In addition, the building is the entrance to the station, the busiest station of the Helsinki metro - Rautatientori.. Station located in the city center and all the main attractions of Helsinki, as well as large shopping centers and department stores such as the Forum, City Center, Kamppi and others are in walking distance from him. In shopping malls Forum and Kamppi can be reached by an underpass, going straight from the station..
Atheneum Museum of Art - is the most famous museum in Helsinki, which is still kept the largest collection of works of art in Finland.. Home to the museum, which opened in 1887, put 18 paintings donated by the Russian Tsar Nicholas II of the Finnish Association of Artists. The name of the museum was named after the Greek goddess Athena, the patron of arts and crafts. The museum has two compartments: Hall "Athenaeum" and the Finnish National Gallery.. In the hall of the "Athenaeum" placed the work of Finnish artists, dating from the seventeenth century to the middle of the twentieth century, as well as foreign authors nineteenth-and twentieth centuries, but until 1960. The collection is decorated with paintings by Chagall, Modigliani, Cezanne, Van Gogh, Goya, Degas, Le Corbusier, Leger and other equally well-known European artists.. The museum has a small but very good exposition of Russian artists: Shishkin, Levitan, Nikolai Kuznetsov, Polenov, and, of course, Ilya Repin, lived in Finland for much of his life.. Pearl of the museum is a collection of paintings of masters "golden age of Finnish art" - the late nineteenth - early twentieth centuries, including works by Hugo Simberg, Juho Rissanen and Akseli Gallen-Kallela.. The second part of the museum - the Finnish National Gallery - stores of Finnish and Western European masters of the period from 1960 to the present day.. In addition to the museum regularly hosts major exhibitions of foreign artists..