Old Town Square - a historic area of Prague, located in the historic center of Old Town. Its area is about 15,000 square meters. The area is surrounded by town houses with facades of architectural styles: Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo.. This place is known from dvennadtsatogo century, while the area was a large market, standing at the crossroads of European trade routes. In the thirteenth century, the area became known as the Old Market, and on the fourteenth century - the Old Town Market. In the eighteenth century the area went through a few names - Old Town parade, Big Old Town Square, a large area. In 1895, the area has received today the official name.. On the square are the royal coronation procession, following the Prague Castle. In addition to special events, and occurred in the area of the tragedy. In 1422 there were clashes caused by the poor execution of the leader of the Prague Jana Želivského, in 1437 there was executed last Hussite hetman Jan Stag with his retinue. June 21, 1621 at the Old Town Square was the death of 27 participants Stavovské resistance against the Habsburg dynasty. In their honor on the sidewalk near the main hall, placed 27 crosses, with the symbols of the sword and spiked crown.. In the fourteenth century, the square was built by the town hall, and in 1410 at the Town Hall were installed Astronomical Clock - Prague Astronomical Clock. In 1365 near the square was built Tyn Church. In 1591, in the northern part of the square was built fountain Krotsinova mufflers, and in 1650, in honor of the liberation of Prague from the Swedes, here was put Marian column, which stood until 1918. On-site column today is a plaque, and on the pavement in the middle of the square is the midday mark - the place where the shadow fell from a Marian column in the noon day sun. From this point in the report was the last time the Prague. In the late nineteenth century, the area is expanding at the expense of the demolished buildings. In 1915, a monument to the national hero of the Czech Republic Jan Hus. In the sixties of the twentieth century, the area has become a pedestrian zone..
Masaryrikovo railway station - is the oldest railway station in Prague. It is located near the Republic Square in the city center. The station was commissioned in 1845. In the mid-19th century it was one of the biggest train stations in Europe. Currently, the station serves only the regional and suburban trains..
Strahov Stadium, located at the top of the Strahov hill. Previously, he was the biggest stadium in the world, so that was listed in the Guinness Book of Records. Today the stadium is the second largest stadium in the world after the "Indianapolis Motor Speedway". Area of the stadium is more than 6 hectares and stands can accommodate more than 220,000 spectators. There are six fields of the natural and the two fields with artificial turf. The stadium is one of the most famous in Czechoslovakia structure of reinforced concrete panels. Originally, the stadium served as the venue for the competitions in the then-fashionable sport - synchronized gymnastics.. Today Strahov stadium is used as a training field for the team "Sparta Prague", as well as for large-scale concerts. There were Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, U2 and Genesis.
The National Museum in Prague - the oldest and largest museums of Prague. The museum building in the neo-Renaissance style was built in 1890 by the architect Josef Schulz. The museum is on the Wenceslas Square and is an architectural dominant. On the main facade of the building attracts the viewer's attention decorated with sculptures by rail: next to a seated on the throne of Bohemia is a young girl who embodies the Vltava River and the old man, which is the river Elbe. These fountains are combined with allegorical figures lands of Moravia and Silesia. On the tympanum of Bohemia - the patron of science and art.. The museum has a permanent exhibition: zoological, paleontological, historical, archaeological, and others..
The main central railway station in Prague is a large and important railway junction not only in Prague, but the whole Czech Republic. The station was opened in 1871 and named in honor of the Emperor of Austria Empire - Franz Joseph the First. Art Nouveau station was built between 1901 and 1909 under the project of the Czech architect Josef Fanta, aside from the old station in a neo-Renaissance. In the period of 1948-1953 the railway station was named after U.S. President Wilson's insistence on the independence of Czechoslovakia. His statue was installed in the park in front of the station, but after the war, in 1941 it was destroyed by the Nazi occupiers.. An additional station building in Art Nouveau style next to the already built in a neo-Renaissance building was built in the period 1901-1909 years by the architect Josef Fanta.. Subsequently, the station expanded due to construction in the 1971-1979 years of the new building, including the construction of the station metro.V was built up a significant part of the park, and the historic building in the neo-Renaissance was unavailable for viewing by the road..
Mala Strana - Prague's historical district, located below Hradcany and connected to the core of the city Charles Bridge. The first settlements in Mala Strana presumably arose in the first millennium BC, in the area of modern Lesser Town Square. It is here that the trade route ran from east to west. In 1257 the Czech King Przemysl Otakar II founded the " Lesser Town of Prague." This part of town holds many reminders of how emerging and not only the current Prague, but also famous Czech dynasty, made history of their country. Here are concentrated churches, churches and castles belonging to different architectural styles. Among the world-famous cultural attractions Mala Strana - Kampa Island, Neruda Street, St. Nicholas Cathedral, Church of Our Lady Victorious in Prague Infant Jesus, Krizhovnitskaya area Hungry wall. Also worth noting is the Liechtenstein Palace, covering an area of five ordinary houses, and Wallenstein Palace Wallenstein Garden - the first and most beautiful palace garden in Prague, owned by Palace Wallenstein, the current location of the Senate of the Czech Republic, Vrtbovska Garden - one of the most beautiful and important Baroque gardens in central Europe, as well as an observation tower on Petrin Hill - Prague Eiffel Tower.
Prague Castle - the largest castle of the Czech Republic, the ancient seat of Czech princes, kings and emperors, stretching along the top of the hill on the left bank of the Vltava River. It was built in the 9th century by Prince Borivoj place of a wooden fortress surrounded by an earthen rampart. On its territory there are a vast number of attractions and places of interest. Hradcany Square, which lies at the entrance to the fortress, still retains its medieval layout. Here is the Lobkowicz Palace Schwarzenberg, which now houses the Military History Museum, Sternberg Palace with the National Gallery and a beautiful 16th century Bishop's Palace. Inside the castle with Hradcany Square are the front gate, which exhibited a guard of honor. On the ground of the courtyard gates of Prague Castle is Theresian palace. Further, in the second courtyard, are baroque Matthias Gate. Here is the Chapel of the Holy Cross, two fountains and a well with forged lattice dome of the Renaissance. In the third courtyard - the oldest part of Prague Castle - the famous Cathedral of St. Vitus. This stunning Gothic structure is considered to be the hallmark of the city, and it is the oldest part of the chapel of St. Wenceslas, which in 932 was buried "Czech folk saint" - a major center of pilgrimage. Directly beneath the area is the museum, which exhibits finds discovered during excavations in the third courtyard. In the southern part of the square is the old royal palace of the 15th century, which occupies the third floor hall Wenceslas - the largest in medieval Europe. Next to the Royal Castle Garden, which is located in Queen Anne's Summer Palace and the "Singing Fountain" - fine examples of Italian Renaissance. To date, the Prague Castle is the seat of the President of the Czech Republic, as well as the largest area of the presidential residence in the world.
Kampa Island - the most romantic part of Prague. It is considered the most beautiful of the eight islands in Prague and the second beauty urban island in the world. Its name Kampa Island was in the seventies of the last century. Probably, it is connected with the Spanish word "campaign", which means " camp." There was a military camp of the Spaniards, who was defeated after the defeat at the Battle of the Czechs of the White Mountains. Shore Kampa island washed by waves from one side of the Vltava River and the creek hotties, which separates the island from Mala Strana - on the other. She-Devil was created in the 12th century in order to drive the mill wheel. Therefore Kampa Island can be considered artificial. She-devil, as they say locals, got its name from the nickname of a woman who came every day to wash clothes at the river. The woman had a very bad temper, for which she was nicknamed hotties, the house in which she lived, the house was named " Seven Devils," and the river - Hellcats. Today Kampa very prestigious and expensive place with a wonderful park, spread over much of the island, between the Bridge and the Bridge of Legions Manes. There are heaps of restaurants, cafes and hotels. In addition, there are embassies in Malta, France, Estonia and other countries, as well as the Cathedral of the Virgin Mary under the Chain, owned by the Knights of Malta. From the banks of the Kampa island views of the historical monuments of Prague : on the one hand - the Prague Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral and Charles Bridge, and on the other side you can see the National Theatre. The main attractions of the island are the Lichtenstein Palace, John Lennon Wall, Museum Kampa, a narrow street on which can not pass two people at the same time ( to pass through it on both sides installed traffic lights ), as well as several mills standing on Certovka, the oldest of which - mill wheel Hut, dated the fifteenth century. Wall of John Lennon appeared on Kampa in the early eighties. Lennon fans after his death began to write songs quotes from "The Beatles", to draw portraits of Lennon walking distance from the French Embassy. They say that the wall is not painted over due to the request of the then French ambassador, who, being a fan of the group, asked the government not to destroy Czechoslovakia inscriptions.
Strahov Monastery - the oldest monastery of the Order of monks Premonstratensian, vows of celibacy and silence. It was founded in 1140 by Vladislav II. Its name was derived from the word "guardian", as in this place once was located outpost guarding the approaches to the Prague Castle. Originally built in the Romanesque style, the monastery was repeatedly subjected to surgery in a variety of styles, the most significant of which is the baroque was held in the late 17th century. The main entrance to the monastery passes through a baroque gate with sculpture of St. Norbert. Left of the gate - the Church of St. Roch - former parish church in the Renaissance style with distinctive gothic elements. In the center of the outer courtyard stands a stone pillar surmounted by a statue of St. Norbert, for him - facade of the church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, which houses the remains of St. Norbert - the founder of the Premonstratensian Order. Right from the entrance to the church is a building in the classical style, which houses the famous Monastery Library with so-called philosophical and theological halls. Now Strahov library - more than 130 thousand volumes, including illuminated manuscripts. In buildings of the monastery housed the Museum of National Literature and Art Gallery Strahov. Indoor galleries housed a magnificent collection of Czech and European art from the Gothic and Renaissance.
"Dancing House" - a non-standard office building in the style of deconstruction, in the central part of Prague near Reslovoy street. It was designed by architects Vlado Milunichem and Frank Geary and is an architectural metaphor of a dancing couple in honor of the famous dancing couple Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. One of the two cylindrical parts, symbolizes masculine figure, and the second part of the building visually resembles a female figure with a slim waist and billowing skirt dance. "Dancing House" was built on the site of the destroyed during the bombing of Prague by U.S. aircraft building, built in neoclassical style in the late 19th century. The idea of building a new building on the site of the ruins of spoiling the face of the city belongs to Vaclav Havel, former president of the Czech Republic, who for many years lived in the neighborhood. The building project has been controversial among designers and critics, but the last word President Vaclav Havel, who approved an interesting project. Prague residents give the most diverse and sometimes funny name for this unusual building, including "Ginger and Fred", "drunk house", "glass", "dancing house". Now "dancing house" Dutch Embassy. A rooftop open a French restaurant with spectacular views of the city.
Wenceslas Square, the former until 1848 equestrian Market - one of the most famous and largest urban area in the world, the heart of the New Town in Prague. She called the name of St. Wenceslas, the Czech prince, patron saint of the country. During the political upheaval and historic change in the country's area became the site of many historic events, there were mass rallies and demonstrations. Today Vatslavak as the Czechs call area is the center of city life. Here are concentrated prestigious shops and boutiques, offices, companies, casinos, luxury hotels and restaurants. Wenceslas Square is usually compared with the Paris Champs Elysees. Having an elongated shape, it looks more like a boulevard, first of which stands St. Wenceslas monument. Near this monument townspeople often scheduling appointments and dates. The architectural ensemble of the square formed in the nineteenth - twentieth centuries. A characteristic feature of buildings Vatslavaka is that almost all have passages - courtyards, connecting them with other streets. In the south- eastern end of the square to the majestic Neo-Renaissance building of the National Museum - the oldest and largest museum in Prague.
Old Town Hall - a complex consisting of several buildings, interconnected and adjacent to the Old Town Square. Historically, the first city hall was a corner early Gothic house from the end of the thirteenth century, which was bought from the citizens of a wealthy merchant in 1338, after it obtained the consent of King John of Luxembourg to establish their magistrate. In 1364 the building was attached to a high tower. And in 1381 was built Gothic chapel. Over time, Hall took a few neighboring houses. History of the Old Town Hall is inextricably linked with the history of the Czech Republic. Here were the coronation of monarchs, and the square in front of the town hall committed penalty. But the most severe trials occurred in the last days of the Nazi occupation, when almost half of the building was completely destroyed. On the 30th anniversary of the liberation of the city affected part of the building was restored. Today, the Old Town Hall is one of the most famous sights of Prague, mainly due to unusual astronomical clock, every day battle which attracts thousands of tourists. Every hour before admiring spectators in the upper windows of the moving clock appear apostles, and ends their hits ringing skeleton and rooster crow. Chimes consist of two parts. The upper part shows the appeal of the Sun and Moon, as well as time of day, and a calendar at the bottom of board shows some days of the week and months of the year. Clock was installed in 1410 Mikulas of Kadan, and improved in 1490 by astronomer Charles University Master Hanuš. There is a legend that the master after the work was blinded by order of the city council in order that it never and nowhere could create a similar masterpiece. In retaliation, the astronomer rushed to the clock mechanism, committed suicide, and stopped them for nearly a century. In the town hall also houses a museum, exhibitions and solemnly register marriages in a special room. Here you can see one of its main elements - Room glad retained its kind since the fifteenth century. Other notable rooms - and it Brožík Yirzhikov rooms situated on the third floor. Yirzhikov hall named after elected to Hall of King George ( George ) Poděbrady. On the walls of the hall murals adorn the beginning of the XV century. Brožík room, meeting room and served as occupying the whole area of the house two stories high, is named for the artist, the author of two large-format paintings on Jan Hus and Jiří Podebradska. In addition, visitors can climb the Town Hall Tower, towering over the city of almost 70 meters, which offers a fantastic view of the city and one of the most beautiful squares in the world - the Old Town Square.
Charles Bridge - one of the main architectural and historical landmarks of Prague. It is a medieval bridge over the Vltava River, which connects the historic districts of Prague - Mala Strana and Stare Mesto. His predecessor - Judith Bridge, was built in 1172, during the Second Vladislav and his wife, Queen Jutta of Thuringia, after which he got his name. Bridge used at the beginning of the reign of Charles the Fourth, but then because of the trade, public and construction hoisting there is need for a more modern bridge. And after the Judith Bridge in 1342 was almost completely destroyed during the flood, it was decided to build a new one. Remains of Judith Bridge can be seen at the base of the pylon on which stands the Old Tower. Construction of a new bridge began in 1357 on the orders of the Emperor Charles the Fourth, and continued until the early fifteenth century. According to legend, before you start construction, Charles IV asked for help from astrologers. They identified the ideal time (year, day and hour ) to start the construction of the "eternal" bridge. Ruler certain astrologers waited for a favorable moment and laid the first stone. Until today the Charles Bridge did not need major repairs, occasionally there is a need a little restoration. Originally called bridge Prague, and in 1870 was officially renamed in honor of its founder, Charles the Fourth. Linking the banks of the Vltava bridge has long served for the passage of the kings of the Royal Court in the Castle. With ordinary citizens in a pass or drive over the bridge have been charged. Also on the bridge was carried out fair and jousting tournaments staged. In 1974, Charles Bridge made pedestrian. Today you can see the street artists, musicians, merchants and sellers of paintings of various ornaments and souvenirs. According to legend, from the Charles Bridge was thrown in a bag in the Czech Republic revered saint John of Nepomuk. In the very place where his body was plunged into the river, above the water glow allegedly seen as 5 stars. Since then, John of Nepomuk is depicted with five stars overhead. Place from which it dumped into the river, noted imbedded in the railing of the bridge and cross the two copper nails close to the cross. Charles Bridge has a length of 520 meters, width - 10 meters and rests on 16 high arches. On both sides of the bridge towers are installed. East Bridge Tower, built in the late 14th century, serves as the entrance to the Old Town and the Old Town so called. It is considered the most beautiful medieval tower in Europe. On the west side of the bridge there are two towers built at different times. Little was built in the 12th century and was part of a Romanesque fortress defending the approaches to the bridge. After 1591, it was rebuilt in the Renaissance style. During the reign of King George of Podebrady in the fifteenth century was laid second, higher tower. Today she arranged a viewing platform and exhibition telling the history of the Charles Bridge. When King Wenceslas IV between the towers were built gates. In the 17th century the bridge was decorated with a unique gallery of sculptures created by the best artists of the time. A total of 30 bridge sculptures and sculptural groups, primarily religious, most of which were established in the period from 1683 to 1714. There is a belief that if you touch one of the sculptures and make a wish, it will come true. Just wish will come true, if it will make come true love and kiss, standing on the bridge.
Tyn Church or Church of Our Lady before Tyn - one of the main symbols of Prague, Old Town Square, the dominant, the main parish church of Stare Places. In the old days the word "fence" called the place where slept merchants came to trade from around the world. This is the third church built on this site. The first small building in the Romanesque style originated here in the eleventh century. Two centuries later it was rebuilt in the early Gothic style, and in 1339 there was the construction of the Tyn Cathedral, which was completed already in 1511. Already in the first half of the fifteenth century, the church was the main Hussite church, which became Archbishop Jan RokycanyAccommodation. Architectural Tyn Church is a three-nave basilica with towers on the western facade and three choirs, trailing aisles to the east. From the north to the tympanum depicts scenes from the life of Christ. Tyn Church - a veritable treasure trove of historical artifacts. This jewel of the temple - Organ - the oldest existing in Prague. This creation Mundt, skilled German craftsman, dated 1673. Also in the church is the oldest in the city of Hot Tin in 1414, decorated with reliefs of the apostles. The altar of the right aisle is the famous statue of the Madonna and Child in 1420, called Tyn Madonna Enthroned. In 2000, in the northern part of the nave was discovered by restorers well hidden fresco of St. Jerome's lion, dated to the 14th century. In the temple is 60 graves as great and unknown people. The most famous of them - the tomb of the famous astronomer Tycho Brahe, who had served Rudolf II. In addition, there is the tomb of Bishop Lucian, as well as a Jewish boy Shimon Abeles, ten year old son of a merchant who secretly went to the monastery on the sermon, and then completely baptized. On hearing this, the father ordered his long torment, and then kill him. As it turned out after the opening of the grave young man 's body was perfectly preserved. Thereafter Shimon solemnly buried in the church as a martyr.
Saint Vitus Cathedral- is a masterpiece of Gothic architecture and a symbol of Prague, located in the Prague Castle. Today it is the seat of the Archbishop of Prague. This is one of the most magnificent temples not only the Czech Republic, but the whole of Europe. It is often called the spiritual center of the Czech Republic, national and cultural relic of the country. Buried in the cathedral, the Czech kings and archbishops of Prague, as well as the Crown Jewels are kept medieval Bohemia. Until 1836 there was crowned King of Bohemia. The first temple built in this place St. Wenceslas in 925 more. The church was consecrated in honor of St. Vitus, whose right hand Vaclav received a gift from the German King Henry the First. In the 11th century in its place was built a three-aisled basilica, and in 1344 began construction of the present cathedral, which was built under the patronage of Archbishop Ernest of Pardubice and King Charles IV. Final construction of the cathedral was completed only in the early 20th century. St. Vitus Cathedral impresses with its size and grandeur of the architecture. It has a height of 124 meters and is a mix of different styles of architecture. Bell tower of the church for a long time was the tallest structure in the Czech capital. Majestic facade of the cathedral is decorated with stone carvings and above the portal is its southern facade of the earliest surviving now Czech mosaics - "The Last Judgment." St. Vitus Cathedral has a luxurious interior, decorated with gold, with numerous sculptures, stained-glass windows through which light rays penetrate the building. In rich cathedral library collected many medieval manuscripts - such as, for example, written in the second half of the 21st century gospel. St. Vitus Cathedral is famous for its organ - one of the best in Europe.
Torture Museum - one of the most visited museums in the city. In his exhibition features more than 60 different instruments of torture from the Inquisition, since 1100. There are both originals and copies. In the museum you can see the pads, chair with spikes, Spanish boots, chastity belt and chastity for women and men, the chairs for the witches, a brazier, a variety of pliers and tools for tearing flesh, and more. All the exhibits there is a detailed description with pictures on the application. In addition, the museum can see the scenes of medieval torture - immured in a wall man witch burning in the fire, the man stretched his arms and legs in different directions, and others.
Old Royal Palace is an historic Prague Castle. Here until the sixteenth century lived Czech kings and princes eminent. Today it is used for state ceremonies and presidential elections in the Czech Republic. The building was built in 1135 by Prince Soběslav. Due to renovations and reconstructions today from the original Romanesque palace was only underground floor, which served as a warehouse for food and wine cellar, and in exceptional cases, a prison, as well as part of the outer wall on the southern side of the palace, including a stone tower. It also boasts several attractions : All Saints Church, Vladislav Hall, Louis Wing, Room with fireplace and roman remains hot-air heating of the XV century, Charles Hall, Old desk, Room Zemsky old books Column Hall of Wenceslas IV - one of the most luxurious residential premises Palace and others. Vladislav Hall occupies a special place among the attractions of Poland, striking for its beauty and luxury. This is the largest ceremonial room in Europe, famous for its unique arches in the shape of a lily. It was built in the late XV century by order of Vladislav II and was used for celebrations, coronations, peers and knightly tournaments. An interesting fact is that the knights could enter the chat room on horseback rider to climb stairs.
Golden Lane - is a historic street in Prague is located in Prague Castle. She is one of the symbols of the city and a popular tourist attraction. The street is famous because here are the miniature houses, built in the arches of the former city wall. Street dates back to the 15th century when the spontaneous development of the territory of Prague Castle. She got its name because of who lived and worked here chasers gold. During the time of Rudolf II lived here Prague Castle guards. And to the extent that, as a profession guards lost its value, the house on the street began to be populated by artists, officials and bandmaster. Then the street turned into a craft and become repositories for the poor. In 1584 at the beginning of the street was built new White Tower. Here were made famous personages, among them Edward Kelly, valet Kashpor Rūda Rudolf II, who was found hanging on a gold cord for the keys to the treasury, as well as the Masons of "Communities of the Czech Brethren." After the uprising in 1621 in the prison were his head. In the 18th century the tower whiled away their days bankrupt nobleman. Today you can visit the torture chamber, buy knight chainmail helmet or sword as a souvenir, visit the exhibition knights armor and weapons, and even shoot in the dash with a Crossbow. The houses on the Golden Lane today there are souvenir shops, galleries and exhibition. Here you can visit the house of the sorcerer, hung around with herbs and jars apart, go into the house or workshop seamstress who lived here once jeweler. The house number 14 was known soothsayer salon of Madame de Phoebus, who was executed by the Nazis for what she predicted the collapse of the Third Reich. And at number 22 for some time lived the famous writer Franz Kafka. Log onto the street and paid included integrated ticket to Prague Castle.
Toy Museum - one of the most popular museums in Prague. It was founded in 1989 by director Ivan Shtaygrom. The museum exposition is one of the biggest in the world and employs more than 5,000 toys. Here are the toys of wood, clay, metal and porcelain period from antiquity to the present day. In the museum you can see even dolls manufactured by Indians of this bread, the oldest of which is more than 2000 years. The museum's collection - ships, dolls of various ages, puppets, dollhouses, wooden and metal designers, metal cars, train stations, castles, toy city, robots and more. The museum is divided into two compartments. The first is an exhibition of antique toys, while the second - a collection of Barbie, numbering more than one thousand of the legendary dolls. Some of them even wore dresses from famous designers.
Prague Zoo - the largest zoo of the Czech Republic and one of the largest in Europe. It was founded in 1931 on the territory of troy park in the picturesque valley of rocks and reservoirs. At the zoo area of approximately 60 hectares located 10 pavilions and more than 150 exhibits, which contains about 530 species of animals 5000, many of which are on the verge of extinction. Also on display are presented zoo about 300 species of rare plants. Prague Zoo famous inhabitants are giant turtle, alligator Chinese, giant iguana, black panda, tiger Ussuri, hyena, cheetah, rhino blunt, Przewalski's horse, bongo antelope. Among the famous zoo animals is also worth noting elephant Gulab, noting July 4, 2006 the 40th anniversary stay at the zoo. In 2002, the zoo was a pavilion "Indonesian Jungle" - one of the grandest buildings in the history of European zoos. He is a two-story glass structure within which planted tropical plants, with a terrace for observing life gibbons, orangutans, Komodo lizards and other animals. In the Prague Zoo is unique in Central and Western Europe Pavilion, where the giant Galapagos tortoises live. They adjoin the world's largest elephant tortoises from the Seychelles. In addition, the zoo bred rare and endangered animals such as the Przewalski horse, a giant turtle, an endangered species of lizards, gavials, felines, and other antelopes. At the zoo with a playground, restaurants, souvenir shops, working chairlift.
Krizik or singing fountains in Prague - this whole light show on the water. Fountain complex located behind the expo pavilion Vystavshte. Fountains were built for the opening of the First Czech industrial exhibitions of the Habsburg dynasty in 1891 by engineer and inventor Frantischek Krizik and named in his honor. Its present form fountains received after reconstruction, in 1991, at the occasion of the Universal Exhibition of Czechoslovak. Krizik fountains in Prague are considered unique European heritage. In the vast pool measuring 25 by 45 meters, there are water rings topped 3000 sprayers and pumps 49 driven. Water jets, illuminated and iridescent in tact sounding music, change the height and pressure, creating a truly unforgettable sight. Watch the audience can view from a specially constructed for this amphitheater, designed for 6000 people. The repertoire of singing fountains - classical and modern music. Sometimes during a performance played ballets. Since 2000 Singing fountains have become more spectacular and impressive by the fact that a water screen projected colorful pictures. Performances are held from March to October daily from 20 hours and lasts about 45 minutes. Repertoire and schedule of singing fountains can be found on the official website of the singing fountains.
Miniatures Museum of Prague is known worldwide. It was opened in 1998 and contains an incredible collection of miniatures professional Russian microminiature painter, teacher and inventor Konenko Anatolia. Only museum features 40 exhibits, which can only be considered by the lens and magnifier. Here you can see a three-dimensional model of the Eiffel Tower, measuring just 3.2 millimeters, which is a hundred thousand times smaller than the original, a caravan of camels in a small eye of a needle, the machine on a thin stalk mosquito portrait of Anton Chekhov's one-half of a poppy seed, train on human hair, sailboat on the wing of a mosquito, and more. But perhaps the most important item in the museum is a book by Anton Chekhov - "Chameleon" size of 0.9 by 0.9 millimeters, consisting of 30 pages, each of which has 11 lines and 220 characters, and illustrated by three colorful illustrations. In 1997, she was entered in the Guinness Book of Records.
Vysehrad - a historical district of Prague, located on a hill above the Vltava River south of downtown. He is considered one of the first centers of the Czech state. Center of the district is an ancient fortress built in the 10th century, due to which it got its name. In the 11th century, Prince Vratislav II kind of Přemyslid quarreled with his brother Jaromir, who was bishop of Prague, moved his residence from the Prague Castle, which left here until 1140. He founded at Vyšehrad own independent episcopate built Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul, the Basilica of St. Lawrence, the Rotunda of St. Martin and the Royal Palace. In 1086 he was crowned here, and he became the first Czech king. In the middle of the XII century Vysehrad value began to fall. The only residence of the princes, and later - the King of Bohemia became the Prague Castle. In the XIV century Charles IV - one of the emperors of the Holy Roman Empire, a descendant Přemyslid tried to revive the glory of Visegrad. He reconstructed Royal Palace, erected new fortifications, connecting them with built by his order a new place. Also was completely rebuilt main church Vysehrad - Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. At the direction of Charles IV, the main approach to Prague from the south had to drive through Visegrad. In addition, the coronation procession of Czech kings in Prague Castle in the era of Charles IV began from Visegrad. During the Hussite wars in 1420, the fortress was almost completely destroyed, with the exception of the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul and St. Martin Potondy. In the XVII century fortifications rebuilt. Many stone walls were replaced by land and built a brick casemates. In 1866, a military garrison was liquidated and ceased to be a fortress Vysehrad. In 1883, was attached to the Vysehrad Prague and since it is one of the administrative districts. In 1962 he received the status of a national cultural monument. On the territory of Visegrad is a lot of sites, including the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, the remains of an ancient Romanesque basilica, St. Mary's Chapel, Romanesque rotunda of St. Martin and Cmetery - the burial place of famous figures of the Czech Republic. Vysehrad is separated from the new town ramparts, which are allocated Brick Prague or New Gate built in 1842. Nearby, in the premises of the former serfs casemates of the 18th century, today houses a permanent exhibition " Vysehrad Castle in Prague history of fortifications."
Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul was built in 1080 by King Vratislav II as a basilica in Romanesque style and was intended including burial therein king Vratislav II and members of the royal family. Later the temple repeatedly expanded and rebuilt. Modern Gothic church view acquired in 1885 as a result of the reconstruction carried out under the guidance of renowned architect Josef Motskera. In 1903, construction had two towers, which have been called "Adam" and "Eve" and have become the hallmark of Visegrád. The interior of the temple delights the eyes of visitors with paintings on the walls, made Frantisek Urban and his wife Maria in 1902-1903. The main attraction is the Gothic church of the Virgin Mary Visegrad called rainy - a monument of Gothic painting of the middle of the XIV century. According to legend, the image was painted by St. Luke. Icon was kept in the collections of Charles IV and Rudolf II, and in 1606 was donated to the church of Saints Peter and Paul. In times of drought to the image of the Virgin Mary came the procession with prayers for rain. In the crypt of the church of Saints Peter and Saint Paul, the remains of the genus Přemyslid : Vratislav II, Conrad, and I Soběslav Soběslav II. Near the altar you can see the Romanesque sarcophagus of the XII century. According to legend, it houses the remains of the Roman soldier Longinus, who pierced the left side with a spear crucified Christ, but later repented and became a Christian. However, historians believe that the tomb containing the remains of some kind of representative Přemyslid.
Vysehrad сmetery - one of the most important historical monuments of Prague. It is located in the historic district of Visegrad at the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. Since the XIX century Cmetery is the burial place of outstanding figures of the Czech Republic - writers, musicians, sculptors, artists, scientists and politicians. There are about 600 graves of famous people, including writers Karel Capek and Jan Neruda, actress and writer Olga Shaynpflugova, composers Antonin Dvorak and Bedrich Smetana. Unlike conventional cemeteries Vysherad сmetery interesting array of beautiful tombstones with busts and statues, which are fine examples of art made in the different architectural styles of the best sculptors of his time. In the eastern part of the cemetery is the tomb "Slavin" - the common grave of those who glorified their affairs Czech people. "Slavin" originated in 1889-1893 under the project of architect Antonin Viela. Its symbol was the central figure of an angel with a monument in long robes, leaning over the sarcophagus, protecting sleep illustrious sons of the fatherland.
Prague chocolate museum was opened in 2008 and is dedicated to the history of chocolate, with nearly 2600 years. The museum is divided into three parts. The first part tells the story of cocoa as a drink and how he came to Europe. The second tells of the origin and development of its chocolate production. And in the third part presents a huge collection of chocolate wrappers. In addition, the museum can see the tools for the production of chocolate, axes and hammers for sugar, a small exhibition of old dishes, as well as molds for chocolate bars and candy. Here you can become a direct participant in the manufacturing process of the world famous Belgian chocolate, then taste it, learn the ancient secrets of the origin of silky chocolate and admire the paintings Vladomira Cech written with liquid chocolate. At the exit from the Chocolate Museum is a shop where you can buy all kinds of sweets - chocolates, candies and lollipops.
Prague Loreto - monastery complex is located in the eastern side of the Loreto area in the historic district near the Prague Castle Hradcany. It is an architectural treasure of Prague and a popular pilgrimage of Christian believers. The main element of the complex - "Holy hut" - a copy of the huts of the Virgin Mary in the Italian town of Loreto, which according to legend, was transferred there by angels from Nazareth to protect the shrine from atheists who captured the Holy Land. Construction Loretta Prague began in 1626 by order of the Czech aristocrat Kateřina of Lobkowicz. Soon shrine became a center of pilgrimage, which necessitated construction of the monastery complex. In total, construction and design of complex lasted more than 100 years. Inside the "Holy hut" is a silver altar and the statue of the Virgin Mary of Loreto, dating from the 17th century, which is credited with miraculous properties. Outside the hut decorated with painted reliefs from the life of the Virgin Mary. On both sides of the cabin are two Baroque fountain built in the period from 1738 to 1740. Stone sculpture of one of them represents the event of the Gospel - " The Resurrection of Christ," and another - " Assumption of the Virgin Mary." In the monastery complex has a treasure chest, which is the second largest in the Czech Republic. Here are the various liturgical objects, art works and monstrance 16-18 centuries, the church donated pious representatives of the Czech nobility. The oldest of the presented exhibits - Gothic bowl, dating from 1510, and the most famous exhibit - a monstrance "Prague Sun" in 1698, made of gold and silver and richly decorated with 6,000 diamonds. Loreta over the complex, tower with a clock and bell tower, famous for its ringing. Every hour, 27 bells, cast in Amsterdam in 1694, a melody of " We Greet You a thousand times." In addition to the treasury, and the Holy huts set in Loreto, also includes seven chapels erected in honor of various saints and ornate Church of the Nativity of the Lord.
Museum "Railway Kingdom" - this is the biggest exposition model railways in Prague. Gaze of visitors represented hundreds of meters of rails, dozens of miniature trains and stations with people, cities, forests, moving cars and even light illumination, dramatizes day and night. In the museum you can also see the old paper model of Prague times of the 19th century, made by Rudolf Spike who spent 12 years of his life to create it. Paper made more than 3,000 homes, 5 towers of the historic center of Prague, 20 churches and Jewish synagogues 9. In "Railway Kingdom" can learn a lot of informative and interesting visiting exhibitions panel. The first of them is devoted to the history of rail transport. Second panel exhibition tells about the professions related to the world of railways. There is also a cinema, where a collection of interesting videos on the rail. The museum has a number of additional exhibitions. Here are the great cities of interactive layouts for designers "Lego" with trains and cars, controlled by the remote. In the museum you can also visit the exhibition of the legendary manufacturer of metal designers and toy trains "Merkur", as well as the largest exhibition of cars in Europe Tomas.
Petrin Lookout Tower was built in 1891 on the same hill and Prague is a likeness of the Eiffel Tower. You can reach it on foot through the streets of Hradcany or insurance or a funicular lift. The tower was built on the initiative of the Club of Czech tourists who were impressed by the Eiffel Tower in Paris, built for the World Exhibition in 1889. In 1953 the tower was installed TV aerial. Thus, she became the first television relay station in the Czech Republic, who worked until 1998, when it was opened a new tower in Zizkov. Petrin tower has a height of 60 meters and weighs 170 tons. 55 meters is an observation deck, but you can walk up, breaking the 299 steps or elevator. In good weather, with its height can be seen almost the whole of Prague. Entrance to the tower is paid. On the lower level of the tower located gift shop and a small cafe, and on the underground - a small museum of the literary character of Yara Cimrman. Petrin Tower at night beautifully illuminated with lights and clearly visible from the Charles Bridge or Prague Castle.
New Town - is the youngest historic district of Prague, completed the medieval period of urban planning. It was founded in 1348 by Charles IV. Spread over an area of about 350 acres of New Town superior size Old Town, Lesser Town and Hradcany together. Today the New Town - the center of modern Prague and its most vibrant district. The heart of the New Town and its main attraction - Wenceslas Square, where until 1848 housed Horse Market. Today it is a center of urban life. There are a large number of shops, business offices, casinos, hotels, restaurants. Also on the square is the National Museum - the oldest and largest museum in Prague. Among other attractions of New Town - Prague National Theatre, "Dancing House" Shitkovsky water tower - the first in the water system of the New Town, Church of Our Lady of the Snows, the Prague National Opera, Charles Square, Temple of Saints Cyril and Methodius - the main Orthodox church in Prague, and also beer "We Vleck," where beer is brewed since the XV century.
Jewish quarter "Josefov" - a unique historical site and one of the most famous neighborhoods in Prague, surrounded by buildings of the Old Town. His name he received at the end of the XVIII century, after the Austrian Emperor Joseph II, who gave Jews equal rights along with other citizens. The first Jewish settlements appeared in Prague as early as the tenth century, but to settle in a place now known as the Jewish Quarter, the Jews began with the XII century. Since then, this area became the center of Jewish life in Prague. In the late XIX - early XX centuries there began a massive building in the popular Art Nouveau style and a large part of the former buildings were demolished. Today, the Jewish quarter - is a unique museum complex in the open, including several synagogues, cemetery and city hall.
Charles Square - one of the oldest and one of the largest squares in Prague, as well as one of the largest in Europe. Once it was the center of New Town, losing its leadership later Wenceslas Square. Square was founded in 1348 by King Charles of Luxembourg at the site of the cattle market and was originally known as the cattle market. Its modern name she received in the XIX century. In the period from 1843 to 1863 in most parts of the square was a park area of about 5 hectares. In 1872, the neighborhood was built a new building at the Czech Technical University. The main building of the Charles Square is New Town Hall, which appeared a few decades later the Old Town. It is from the New Town was conducted management. Today this room is used as a hall for weddings. In the center of the Charles Square, on the corner Yechnoy is early Baroque Church of St. Ignatius Loyola in, built in 1670 for the Jesuits. Its facade is decorated with a sculpture of the patron saint, surrounded by a golden halo. In the southern part of the Charles Square is the house known as the home of the celebrated Dr. Faustus, who lived here in 1540. In addition to these attractions surrounding area museums, galleries and other architectural structures.
Old-New Synagogue - the oldest active synagogue in Europe, located in the Jewish Quarter of Prague called "Josefov". It was built in 1270 in the early Gothic style. The building has undergone a lot of fires, clearing Josefov quarter in the XIX century, the Nazi occupation and has survived almost intact. Old-New Synagogue is surrounded by many myths and legends. According to a legend, the synagogue moved to this place from the Promised Land the angels themselves, and, according to another legend, it was built from the stones of the demolished the temple in Jerusalem. Originally the building was known as "New" or "The Great Synagogue". Later, in the XVI century when they began to build new synagogues, it was called "New Synagogue". Rabbis here were the greatest scientists of the Prague Jewish community. In the synagogue, according to Orthodox tradition, a place for men and women in the service are separate. Women sit in the outer room with small windows leading into the main room. According to one of the legends in the attic of the synagogue kept Golem - a strange creature from clay, the creator of which was the most famous medieval rabbi of Prague's Jewish ghetto - Yehuda Levi ben Bezalel. People respected him so much that until now no one took his seat in the synagogue. The legend speaks of Nazi agents, who during World War II rose to the attic and tried to stab the Golem, but died. Staircase leading to the attic from the outside, removed, and today it is closed to the general public.
New Town Hall - the main building Karlsplatz. It was modeled on the famous Old Town Hall. Its construction began in 1348 by order of Charles IV after the founding of the New Place. It is from the New Town management was conducted until all merged into one city of Prague, where the residence of the new city government became the Old Town Hall. With the New Town Hall is related to many important events in the history of the city. In 1419, here was an armed conflict between Catholics and the Hussites. And in 1609 there was held a meeting to discuss the issues of forced Rudolf II sign a state decree allowing freedom of religion. At the turn of the 18th - 19th centuries in connection with the merger of four towns of Prague City Hall was abolished, and its building is fit for trial and jailed in connection with what she called "Prague Bastille". Here first were imprisoned members of the Prague uprising in 1848, and later - the political prisoners. Today in the main hall of the Town Hall - one of the most beautiful New Town Hall premises held marriage. Dominant Hall and across the Charles Square - a six-story town hall tower, which was founded in 1451. On its facade is still late- arms of the New Town. On the ground floor of the tower is a chapel of St. Mary and St. Wenceslas. Among other things, served as a chapel last spiritual home of death row prisoners. At the corner of the tower you can see the old standard measures of length - Czech elbow, and remainder of the chain to shut the street. Previously around the southern wing of the Town Hall located shop sellers tissues, and between them and the buyers were constantly debate about the length of a piece of cloth sold. The local administration was supposed to solve this problem, and therefore was set standard elbow on which verifies your purchase buyers.
Jewish Town Hall - one of the few buildings of the Jewish Quarter in Prague, surviving after clearing Jewish slums at the turn of XIX-XX centuries. The building was built in 1586. Financed the construction of the Jewish Quarter Mayor Mordechai Marzel. Over the next few centuries the town hall was not once burned and rebuilt. In 1763, after a fire, the building was rebuilt in Baroque style. In the same year on the facade of the town hall put the reverse of the watch. The clocks go back, but on the dial shows the letters in Hebrew means both figures. Reverse hours due to the fact that the Hebrew write and read from right to left. Its present appearance in the Rococo Hall acquired after the last reconstruction in the early twentieth century. Side facade of City Hall, adjacent to the High Synagogue and up to the nineteenth century, these two buildings were the one. The synagogue served as a chapel, and the Town Hall - a place of social and cultural life, educational and administrative center of the Jewish community, where the meetings of the elders of the community and meeting the rabbinical court. Currently, the town hall is a number of Jewish cultural, social and educational organizations. Sometimes building exhibitions and social events. The building is closed to the public. Access for tourists only open space in the dining room, where the kosher restaurant.
Rotunda of St. Martin - the oldest building of the fortress Vysehrad. It was built in the 11th century by Prince Vratislav II and was the parish church. During its existence visited the rotunda, and Tyn Cathedral and just a warehouse. During the Hussite wars in 1420 it was badly damaged and looted. In 1735, at the time of the bombing of Prague Prussian troops in the building was again damaged. In his wall can still be seen cannonball remaining from the fire. Later, in 1841, wanted to demolish the Rotunda on the occasion of the construction of communication between New Town and Pancrazio, but the Count Karl hotkeys unable to defend it. To date, masonry retaining original Rotunda, but the portal was the result of the restoration in 1870. Then its western entrance was bricked up, and from the south - made new, in Neo-Romanesque style. During the recent architectural excavations in the Rotunda was discovered a secret underground cellar, the existence of which no one guessed.
Jewish Museum in Prague - this is one of the most famous and largest museums in Europe, which keeps a large number of Jewish artifacts. It was founded in 1906 by Chairman of the settlements of the Jewish people in Prague Augustus Solomon Stein and historian Hugo Lieben with the sole purpose to bring together and keep things out of the synagogues, representing the artistic and cultural value. This was due to the fact that in the XX century in Prague began restructuring the Jewish quarter, which called into question the existence of many Jewish synagogues. Exposure of the Prague Jewish Museum are located in six historic buildings in the former Jewish quarter : in the Old-New, Maisel, Pinkas and Spanish synagogues Hall ceremonies, and Klausen Synagogue in the Old Jewish Cemetery and dedicated to Jewish history and culture, anti-Semitism, the Second World War. The museum's collection includes more than 40,000 artifacts, including several thousand drawings, samples, textiles, silver, household items, as well as 100,000 books. The Jewish Museum is one of the most visited in Prague. Every year it is visited by more than 700,000 tourists.
Old Town - is the central historic district of Prague, which until 1784 was a separate town with the right to self-government. It is that part of the capital of the Czech Republic, where she began to develop. The first settlement on the territory of the region appeared in the IX century. Stare Mesto has grown around the huge market square. In 1232 it received the status of a town and was surrounded by thick walls, and in 1338 King John of Luxembourg gave citizens permission to create his magistrate. The name "Old Town" city was in the 14th century, when Charles IV founded New Town. The Old City is a huge amount of interest, and it is here the first thing most tourists sent. The heart of the Old Town is the Old Town Square, where the market was once located. Its main building - the Old Town Hall, famous for its astronomical clock. Hall of Management conducted a medieval town. On the eastern side of the square stands the Gothic church of Our Lady before Tyn - the main parish church of the Old Town. In 1915, in the northern part of the square was a monument to Jan Hus 500 - year anniversary of the death of a preacher and became a symbol of the independent Czech Republic. The Old City is the most famous building of Prague - Charles Bridge, built in the XIV century. In this part of Prague, a high concentration of museums, among them - the Museum of Czech Cubism, Smetana Museum, Heritage Center Museum Naprsteka, Kafka Museum.
Lesser Town Square - the historical center and the heart of Mala Strana. In the Middle Ages the market was located here, as well as gallows and pillory. Lesser Town Square its name got in 1869. The main part of its original buildings were destroyed by Hussite battle in 1419, as well as in a fire in 1541. The modern image formed in the XVII - XVIII centuries. Dominant Lesser Town Square and its main attraction is the Cathedral of St. Nicholas, built in 1756. Currently, the temple is the hallmark of Mala Strana. In the western part of the square is the Lichtenstein Palace. First, he belonged to the princes Lobkowitz, until 1650, when the palace was confiscated by the government. In the period from 1620 to 1627 the palace belonged to Karl Liechtenstein known persecution participants antigabsburgskoy opposition. Because of violence, committed against 27 leaders of urban rebellion, he was nicknamed " Bloody Liechtenstein." In memory of this sad event before the palace found 27 stone pillars with iron heads. Today the building houses the music department of the Academy of Performing Arts. It often hosts exhibitions and concerts. Between the Liechtenstein palace and the cathedral of St. Nicholas is the Plague Column. It was erected in 1715 as a token of gratitude to the Lord for deliverance from the plague of the city and is a monument that includes statues of the Blessed Trinity and the patrons of the Czech Republic. Downstairs Lesser Town Square stands Sternberg Palace. Now he is in possession of the Czech Parliament, and earlier thanks gentleman naturalist and Kaspar Sternberg gathered here representatives of science and culture. In Sternberg Palace also houses part of the collection of the National Gallery - Art exhibition from ancient times to the Baroque period. In the northern part of the square is the palace Smirzhitskih, which was built in the period from 1610 to 1620 one of the most illustrious Czech noble families - Smirzhitskimi. The palace is renowned for being here in 1618 occurred antigabsburgskoy meeting opposition representatives to discuss plans for the uprising classes defenestration governors emperor. For family involvement in a caste uprising palace was confiscated several times changed hands and eventually appeared in 1765 in the possession of Montagu, who spent his rekonstkuktsiyu Baroque. At the moment, as well as the Sternberg Palace, the Palace Smirzhitskih refers to a complex of buildings of the Czech Parliament. In the eastern side of the square is the Renaissance building Lesser Town Hall, also known as the Lesser Town club and venue of cultural events. Town Hall was here until 1784. Today, various cultural events - concerts, exhibitions, performances. Near the Town Hall are Kayzershteynsky palace facade decorated with allegorical statues " Four Seasons." Palace appeared in 1714 as a result of the restructuring of two Renaissance buildings. Initially, the owner of the palace was the Army Chief of Prague Gelfrid Kayzershteyn. Then the palace changed several owners, including Radetzky of Radeche and 40s of the 19th century it became the property of the Czech Savings Bank. Plaque palace indicates that at the end of IX - beginning of XX century this building lived the famous Czech opera singer Ema Destinnová. Closes ensemble Lesser Town Square Gremlingofsky Palace, which is called "At the Stone Table". Here is the Lesser coffee shop, which was opened in 1874. Today, the institution continues to receive visitors.