Grand Place - the historic square of Brussels, which is one of the most important tourist sites of the city. It is not only the biggest and most beautiful square in Brussels, but also one of the most beautiful squares in the world. There are two major attractions - the Town Hall and "House of the King". History of the area began in the eleventh century, when in place of the dried bogs market emerged. There were noisy shopping arcades, feast, jousting tournaments and administer justice. In the fifteenth century there was built a Gothic town hall. In 1450, she was crowned with a 96-meter watch tower with a statue of St. Michael - the patron saint of Brussels.. Opposite the town hall is the "House of the King", built in the sixteenth century by Emperor Charles V, where, despite the name, never lived no king. House served alternately baking warehouse tribunal and prison. In 1873 the building was reconstructed in the Gothic style. Nowadays, there is "the Brussels municipal museum.". In 1695, during the French siege of Brussels, the buildings around the square were demolished, only the city hall stood, and, in part, "House of the King". After the war the area was quickly rebuilt wealthy guilds, whereby it adopted its present appearance. Today the ensemble market square of Brussels is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.. Since 1986, every two years, on the Grand Place, the fifteenth of August for a few days created a huge carpet of flowers a total area of one thousand eight hundred square meters, attracting tens of thousands of visitors here from around the world.
"Manneken Pis" - one of the most famous and popular attractions of Brussels, is a small bronze statue of a boy urinating into the fountain. The current statue of Manneken Pis was cast Jerome Duquesnoy the Elder and erected in its place at the Grand Place in 1619.\n. Fountain is famous for many suits "Manneken Pis", which he varies depending on events taking place in the world. Several times a week according to the schedule posted on the fence at the fountain, "Manneken Pis" dressed in various costumes, which currently has several hundred. The process of changing the costume is a colorful ceremony, often accompanied by music. In some cases, the statue is connected to the barrel of beer or wine..
St. James Church is a part of an ensemble of nine neoclassical buildings surrounding the perimeter of the Royal Square and linked by covered walkways. This temple is famous because of its levels of 21 July 1831, Leopold first took the oath of allegiance to the constitution of Belgium. Church history is rooted in the seventh century. Then, on the left bank of the Seine at Cold mountain Duke of Brabant built a small chapel, which went on with the pilgrims on their way to Spain. In 1162 the chapel was dedicated to St. James, and together with the adjoining almshouse given spiritual chivalry Catholic Knights Templar. After construction in the thirteenth century palace turned into a church Kaudenberg ducal chapel. In 1731, having survived a fire that destroyed the palace, it was demolished because its style does not fit into the new ensemble Royale. At the site of the old chapel erected a new church in neo-classical style, which was consecrated in 1787. Today, the church of St. James is the official church of the royal family, as well as the main parish church of the Belgian armed forces, what resembles marble plaque with the names of the war dead..
"Royal Museums of Fine Arts" are a complex consisting of four museums located in different buildings. It includes the "Museum of Modern Art" and "The Museum of Ancient Art", which are in a building located near the "Royal Palace", as well as two museums in the commune of Ixelles on specific Belgian artists - "Museum Antoine Wirtz" and "Museum of Constantine . The museum was founded in 1835 by order of King Leopold I, and in 1887 appeared the current museum building on Palace Square, designed by architect Alphonse Balat. Total museum's collection includes about twenty thousand items - paintings, drawings, sculptures, created in the period from the fourteenth century to our time. Exposition "Museum of ancient art" represented by the works of European artists of the fourteenth - eighteenth centuries, and it is based on collection of Flemish paintings.. In "Museum of Contemporary Art" presents works by Belgian artists. It houses one of the largest public collections of works by Belgian surrealist painter Rene Magritte.. "Museum Antoine Wirtz" is a former artist's studio, to preserve the unique atmosphere of the universe Antoine Wirtz, the Belgian representative of the Romantic movement of the nineteenth century. It contains the number of works Wirtz, his drawings and sculptures.. "Constantin Meunier Museum" occupies the former home studio famous Belgian painter and sculptor, a representative of the realistic style of art, which became one of the first sculptors, take in their work central person involved in physical labor..
Church "Sablon" or "Church of Our Lady of Victory" is one of the best examples of Brabant Gothic architecture, located in the ancient district Sablon, where until the end of the twelfth century outside the city walls of the cemetery. The soil of this area consists of sand and clay. This mixture is called in French "Sablon", whereby the area got its name.. In 1304, with funding from the five military guilds of Brussels was built a small chapel dedicated to the Holy Virgin Mary. Name of Our Lady of Victory church was given in memory of the Battle of Voringene 1288, which resulted in Luxembourg passed into the possession of the Dukes of Brabant.. Popularity chapel increased after 1348 in a pious lady Beatrice Sotniks stolen in one of the temples of Antwerp statue of the Madonna and brought her to the chapel. As she did all this at the behest of the Virgin, who appeared to her interest in the stolen statue greatly increased, and many pilgrims were drawn to the humble chapel. As a result, cross-bows guild decided to build a chapel instead of a beautiful Gothic church. A story of abduction statue of the Virgin Mary near the compositions embodied in one of the walls of the church.. Until 1784 the church served as the burial place for distinguished aristocratic families. In particular, one of the chapels of the church belonged to the noble family of the Holy Roman Empire - Thurn and Taxis, established in the Middle Ages, the international e-mail message.. In 1929, Pope Pius the Eleventh appointed Sablon church official church Belgian Knighthood of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem.. The church consists of five naves, columns in them decorated sculptures of the Holy Apostles. Inside the church the walls are painted guild emblems. Eleven stained glass fifteen feet tall with a predominance of blue and green colors, illuminated at night, creating an unusual lighting design interior with carved decorations and a large body. In the central part of the nave is the pulpit, decorated with symbols of the four evangelists, as well as the image of the Virgin Mary surrounded by saints.\n.
Brussels Palace of Justice - the building of a state court in Belgium. It is the largest country Court of Justice. Currently, there is also the Belgian Chamber of cassation. The grand building was built in 1883 by architect Joseph Pularta, after whom the square was named the palace. Its construction began on the orders of King Leopold II and lasted 20 years. The palace has a huge size, for which the locals called it the "mammoth". At the time of construction it was the largest building in the world. This grand building occupies almost a quarter. For its construction in the area Marol Sablon demolished 3,000 homes. Building occupies a total area size of fifty two thousands square meters. Inner rooms is twenty-six thousand square meters. Height of the building, including the dome reaches one hundred forty-two meters. The largest hall of the Palace of the townspeople called "Hall of Lost Steps", as any man in this room feels grand negligibly small. In the Palace of Justice are 27 courtrooms and 245 small rooms for different purposes.
Avenue Louise - one of the main shopping streets of Brussels. Here are concentrated the most expensive boutiques of famous luxury brands such as "Louis Vuitton", "Valentino", "Cartier", "Versace", "Chanel", "Christian Dior" and other hyped in the fashion industry brands, including .
Victor Horta Museum - is not exactly a standard museum. Its main exhibit is the building itself - one of the many architectural masterpieces of Art Nouveau genius Victor Horta in which he lived and worked. The house was built in 1898. It reflects one of the main innovations of Orta - building rooms around the main central hall. The house has a glass ceiling, so that falls through it creates light indoors natural illumination. Among the exhibits - many items that belonged to the architect, he developed objects and documents which are an excellent illustration of the life and works of the great masters. The museum building was included in the UNESCO World Heritage list in 2000 along with three other buildings Horta - hotel "Tassel" hotel "Solvey" on Avenue Louise and the hotel "Wang Etvelde.".
European Parliament building in Blyussele - the biggest in the world, where important and historic decisions of the European Union. It is located on an area of Luxembourg. The building is constructed in the shape of a wing and a tower height of 60 meters, according to the architects, looks unfinished, symbolizing a partial list of EU countries. The upper part of the building is oriented upwards, as a Gothic cathedral spire. Some see in the architecture construction features of the Roman Colosseum.. The first complex of buildings housing the European Parliament were built between 1988 and 1992 on the site of a former brewery, then in 2008 the building was expanded and completed towards the square Luxembourg. Shells are named after various European political figures - Vatslev Havel, Willy Brandt, and so on. Press room bears the name of the Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya. And most importantly the central building of the European Parliament is named after the Italian communist Altieri Spinelli, author of "Ventotene Manifesto," which was first proposed Constitution of the United States of Europe. Installed in front of the 12-meter high sculpture "in the heart of Europe" or "Heart of Europe". The author of the composition is Lyudmila Cherina, the famous French artist, writer, actress and dancer. This work represents a united Europe.. In those days when Parliament is not in session, the complex is open for visits. You can even visit a plenary meeting with a group or alone. During the session of the European Parliament on headphones can hear almost instant translation of all that is said on each of the twenty official languages of the European Union..
Leopold Park predstavdyaet a picturesque park located in the center of Brussels. There is a beautiful lake and many fountains, and operates several museums. The idea of its creation belongs to the scientist and industrialist Ernest Solvay, who in the late nineteenth century organized here five university centers. Leading minds of the time - Marie Curie and Albert Einstein participated in scientific symposia held within the walls of academic institutions, working there until this day.\n. The park is about ten acres. This green space, known as numerous buildings, including the International Convention Centre and the old library building "Solvay", and many other architectural achievements.\n. Along the perimeter of the pond stretched walking and biking trails, with plenty of benches. From the main entrance to the park located floral clock, the overall diameter is about 9 meters, which is planted with about 15 thousand colors. Leopold Park has retained its true character of the English landscape park with its vast lawns, shady groups of trees and winding paths that invite visitors and residents a pleasant refreshing walk..
Cinquantenaire Park - one of the most beautiful parks in Brussels and one of the most popular holiday destinations of Brussels. It was founded in 1880 on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of Belgium's independence on a former military training decision of King Leopold II. The new park was to demonstrate to the world the image of a developed and prosperous Belgium. Total area of the park is 30 hectares occupied mostly by beautiful gardens, ponds and small waterfalls. It is the site of military parades, as well as used as avtokinoteatra.. The main building of the park, the Arc de Triomphe, which serves as the entrance into it, and illustrates the important events in the history of Belgium. Construction of arch height of about 50 meters was completed in 1905. It is decorated with quadriga, which symbolizes the province of Brabant. Other Belgian provinces are reflected in the form of statues at the foot arch.\n. "The Museum of Art and History" is dedicated to the history of human culture for thousands of years. His collection consists of many artifacts collected on five continents. Many of them thousands of years old. The museum was founded in 1835, but the building in the park Cinquantenaire moved only in 1889. Among the most famous museum of artifacts include: relief depicting Gilgamesh, dating from the beginning of the third millennium BC, medieval Belgian altars Syrian mosaics of the fifth century BC, and many others. There is a separate collection of vintage objects of non-European civilizations - Polynesian, Indian, and other ancient Chinese.\n. It collected more than four hundred American and European cars created in the period from 1886 to the seventies of the twentieth century. In the museum you can see the unique pre-war car brands Belgian Minerva, Imperia, FN. There are a considerable number of foreign car brands - French, German, American, Italian and British. Some models at one time belonged to the Belgian royal family, as well as U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy. Specially rarity considered "Bentley" in 1928, "Bugatti" in 1930, and many others. The museum runs a special gift shop where you can buy miniature exhibits of cars exhibited at "Autoworld"..
14-storey building of the European Commission, located in the heart of Brussels, in the street Lua is one of the attractions of the Belgian capital. Built in 1967, today it is a monument of modern architecture and is one of the symbols of Brussels. Here the headquarters of the European Union executive. The total area is 240,000 square meters. In terms it represents four-pointed star with sides of different lengths, which are also called wings. Wings form four separate patio facing the opposite sides of the city. In one of the courtyards set the flags of all countries that are part of the European Union. Other courtyards paved with tiles and decorated with flower beds.
Royal Palace - is the official residence of the Belgian monarch, located in front of Brussels Park and separated from his Palace Square.\n. "Royal Palace" is used mainly by King as a venue for formal events.\n. Prior to that, this place was a palace Kaudenberg - Castle residence of the Dukes of Brabant, presumably built in the late eleventh century and destroyed by fire in 1731. Modern facade in the classical style palace building acquired at Leopold the Second in 1904. Today the palace houses a museum dedicated to the history of the Belgian dynasty, and there are three contemporary art exhibitions.\n. Here you can admire the art collections and products of arts and crafts, brought from around the world to walk rooms and halls of this imposing building, the corridors and monumental stairs, and of course visit the famous "mirror room", the ceiling of which is laid out over a million wings Thai beetles . In the room you can see the Imperial 11 flower pots of gold planted with flowers from each of the eleven provinces of the Belgian. Greatness "Hall tyorzhestv" and "Throne Hall" is simply breathtaking. Their great size, ceiling height, and bronze with crystal chandeliers are witnessing a time when Belgium was the fourth-largest trading nation in the world.
Brussels Central Station - the busiest station in the Belgian capital, serving mostly domestic flights. Built in 1952, it is the newest of the three main railway stations of the city. Station project was created back in the thirties, but its implementation began only after the Second World War. Station became the basis for creating the design of Victor Horta. Total station has three island platforms and six ways. In 2004-2010, the station has been significantly upgraded - added new entrances to the building, although in general the station today is not able to properly cope with the very large number of passengers and is considered not the most pleasant place. He connected pedestrian tunnel to the Central Station subway..
Cathedral of St. Michael and Gudula - one of the brightest representatives of Gothic art. The main cathedral of Brussels is located on the border of Upper and Lower towns on the hill Troyrenberg. He is known for his performances of bell ringing. It also hosts organ concerts.. History of the Cathedral of St. Michael and Gudula rooted in the eleventh century. Then this place was a Romanesque church of St. Michael - the patron saint of Brussels, where in 1047 the remains were transported to Saint Gudule. After that was fixed for the temple name of the church of St. Michael and Gudula. According to legend, a young and pious daughter of the seventh century Carolingian aristocrat annoying devil interfered read religious books at night, and every now and then blow out the candles. Girl whenever it lit again, and for that his constancy was canonized.. In the thirteenth century Romanesque church was rebuilt in the gothic and expanded. Base of the old Romanesque churches today can be seen in the crypt through the glass openings in the floor. In the period from 1226 to 1276 were built Gothic choirs, in the middle of the fifteenth century - the nave and transept. West facade of French baroque and interior were completed towards the end of the fifteenth century.. The building is a symmetrical composition with two gothic unfinished rectangular towers linked openwork gallery and a gable roof and giving resemblance to the famous Cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris. Inside each tower has a long ladder, which open onto a terrace at a height of 64 meters. In the north tower housed a big bell "Savior.". Cathedral adorned with beautiful stained glass windows of the sixteenth - nineteenth centuries, illustrating episodes in the history of the sacrament and the life of the Virgin. Columns with openwork capitals supporting a vaulted nave, decorated with figures of the Apostles in the Baroque style in full size.. The cathedral is also the mausoleum of the Belgian national hero Frederic de Merode.. Cathedral of St. Michael and Gudula witnessed many special occasions: in 1995 he was visited by John Paul II, at the same time here married Belgian Crown Prince Philippe of Princess Mathilde, and in November 2007 prayer service was held in memory of victims of Holodomor in Ukraine..