Cathedral La Seu
La Seu Cathedral - a magnificent example of Gothic style of the Mediterranean and the main attraction of Majorca. Its construction began in 1229 after the liberation of the island from the Arab rule and lasted more than 300 years. According to the legend of King Jaime of Aragon fleet First on the way to the conquest of the island, caught in a heavy storm, and praying for the salvation of God, the king swore in the case of a successful outcome, to build a temple in his honor. Prayer was heard and the king reached the shore alive and unharmed, liberated the island from Arab rule, and the place of the old mosque of Medina ordered the construction of the cathedral. Subsequently Cathedral repeatedly rebuilt and reconstructed, including the world- with the participation of the Spanish architect Antonio Gaudi. Mallorca Cathedral - one of the most famous Gothic buildings in Europe and one of the largest Gothic cathedrals in the world. Its length is 120 meters, width - 58 meters, height - 44 meters. Even the key from the main gate of the Cathedral impresses with its size, its length is about one meter. The interior of the cathedral is particularly noteworthy main altar of the Royal Chapel, consecrated in 1346. He is surrounded by four columns, crowned by angels with musical instruments. In the early twentieth century has been installed above the altar canopy of Gaudi's work. In the cathedral you can also see the magnificent stained-glass windows of the fourteenth - sixteenth centuries. In the tiny chapel of the Holy Trinity buried the remains of King James the Second and Third, as well as bishops. In the Cathedral Museum which was opened in 1932, stored samples of jewelry art, medieval art, relics. Among them is the 120 - tikilogrammovaya silver monstrance, used annually during the feast of Corpus Christi, and decorated with precious metals and stones reliquary with a particle of the Holy Cross, dating from the fifteenth century. In addition to worship in the cathedral organ concerts are held regularly.