Nowy Świat Street 69, Warsaw, Poland
Staszic Palace is recognized as one of the most beautiful architectural monuments of Warsaw. It was built in 1823 by the efforts of the priest and the famous Polish Enlightenment figure Staszica project invited from Florence architect Antonio Corazzi in classic style. After the construction of the building gave Staszic Society of Friends of Science - the first Polish scientific organization. In May 1830 in front of the monument was inaugurated by Copernicus, created by Danish artist and sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen. After the Polish uprising of 1830 scientific organization was closed and the building has departed Russian government. Until 1862 it housed the management of the state lottery and Medical Surgical Academy. Later the building was opened by Russian men's gymnasium, and in 1890 it was decided to place in the palace of a Roman church of St. Tatiana, for this it was rebuilt in the old Russian style. After Poland regained independence, resulting in another reconstruction in 1926 the palace was restored to its original classic style. Before the Second World War it housed several scientific organizations: Warsaw Scientific Society, the National Meteorological Institute, the French Institute and the Archaeological Museum of Warsaw. In 1944 the palace was almost completely destroyed. After the war, restored palace Staszic came into the possession of the Polish Academy of Sciences, which is located in the building to this day.