Królewska 11, Warsaw, Poland
Marshal Jozef Pilsudski area - one of the most important historical sights of Warsaw, which attracts tourists plenty of architectural and historical monuments. It is named in honor of Marshal Jozef Pilsudski - politician and statesman, founder of the Polish Army, which played a huge role in the restoration of Polish statehood after World War. Area was established in 1791 and was originally called Saxon. Then it was renamed in Pilsudski Square. During the German occupation during the Second World War, she was named an area of Adolf Hitler, and after the war renamed Victory Square. And only recently returned to her name Pilsudski Square. During its long history, this area has often been the site of various historical events. In the nineteenth century the square military parades, here welcomed the official guests of Poland and Warsaw. It is in this area in 1979 in the presence of a huge number of parishioners held its mass, the first Pole, who was elected in 1978 to the papacy, John Paul II. Here in April 2005, the Poles mourn his death. In the late nineteenth - early twentieth century in the area was Alexander Nevsky Orthodox Cathedral, which was demolished after the conquest of Polish independence. Marshal Jozef Pilsudski area located in the scenic area, there are a plurality of cafes, restaurants, small shops and a large number of boutiques of famous brands. The ensemble includes a square tomb of the Unknown Soldier - one of the most famous war memorials in Poland, the monument to Marshal Pilsudski and the ruins of the Saxon Palace.