play

Virtual journey to Reykjavik, Iceland

Reykjavik Attractions

Hofdi House, Reykjavik

Hofdi House

Hofdi House, built in 1909, is one of the main attractions of the capital of Iceland. It was one of the most beautiful wooden houses built in Iceland in the early twentieth century. World known for his "Icelandic summit" held here in 1986, in which participated the two presidents - Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev. This historic event was marked as the end of the era of " Cold War." Hofdi House originally was the home of the French consul in Iceland. Then here a long time he lived and worked famous Icelandic poet Einar Benedihtsson. He owned a house more than a decade, until sold it to the British Embassy. Hofdi House was used as a guest house for celebrities and leaders who came to Iceland. Its most famous visitors were Winston Churchill and Marlene Dietrich. Iceland belong mansion became after his tenant was afraid of supernatural forces. One of the British diplomats - John Greenway, a long time resident in a beautiful country house, claimed that every night the house ghost is haunting as a young woman. Englishman managed to convince the authorities to abandon the use of the mansion as a dwelling for the consuls. As a consequence, in 1952 alone Hofdi House own, became the Government of Iceland. The building is currently owned by the city Reykjavik and is used for official receptions and community meetings. Unfortunately, the house is closed to the public visits.

North Quay Reykjavik, Reykjavik

North Quay Reykjavik

North Quay Reykjavik - a favorite place jogging and cycling citizens. Scenic views of Mount Esya, and then there is the famous sculpture Jon Gunnar Aranson "Sun Ship" - one of the main symbols of Reykjavik. This elegant sculpture resembling a Viking ship and attracts a lot of tourists, was established in 1990. Many consider it a monument to the Vikings, but he Arnason said that his ship symbolizes the pursuit of a new dream, to still undiscovered lands, something unknown.

street Laugavegur, Reykjavik

street Laugavegur

Laugavegur Street - one of the oldest and most famous shopping streets in Iceland. It was built in 1885. Street name means " to wash the road." This name Laugavegur received due to the fact that in ancient times, this street led to the hot springs in Laugardalur that women Reykjavik used as a laundry room. Today it houses the most exclusive shops in Iceland, which are famous all over the country. In addition, on the street, a huge number of popular nightclubs, bars, restaurants and other entertainment facilities. At the end of the week on Friday and Saturday at Laugavegur going to a large number of tourists and locals - entertainment lovers.

Church Hadlgrimskirkya, Reykjavik

Church Hadlgrimskirkya

Hadlgrimskirkya - it is an active Lutheran Church in Reykjavik, which is one of the main attractions of the city and the fourth tallest building in Iceland. Inauguration of the temple took place in 1986. Cathedral was erected during the thirty-eight years, and was named in honor of the eminent poet and spiritual leader - Hatlgrimura Petursson - author of " Hymns of passion." The church is in the center of Reykjavík, and visible from any part of the city. Here is set in Iceland 's largest organ created by the German master Johannes Klais. 15 -meter body consists of more than five thousand tubes and weighs 25 tons. Located on the church tower observation deck, 75 -meter height which offers a wonderful view of Reykjavik and its surrounding mountains. Front of the church is a statue of Leifur Erriksona, known as " Happy Leif." It was donated by the United States in 1930 in honor of the millennial anniversary of the Icelandic Parliament. Icelanders are sure that this viking 500 years before Columbus set foot on American soil.

lake Tjörnin, Reykjavik

lake Tjörnin

Tjornin Lake - one of the most famous in Iceland. The waters of this small lake, considered one of the cleanest in the world, and it's a given that it is located in the city center. On a clear day in the mirrored surface Tjornin as a mirror reflects the bright blue sky Iceland. On the lake is home to more than forty species of birds - gulls, swans, geese, terns. Signs placed along the lake with a precise description of their species. Feed the birds come all Reykjavik. Close, even custom-built bakery where you can buy bread for these purposes. Around the lake is mass attractions Reykjavik City Hall, the Cathedral, University and several major museums, including the National Museum of Iceland. In recent years, built around a lot of modern hotels. On the southern shore of the lake dotted with sculptures located pretty parks along the narrow paths which often go cyclists. In winter the lake turns into a big glittering lights of the rink. Sometimes on the weekends on the ice surface of satisfied even hockey games. In this middle of the lake does not freeze because of geothermal springs, which is just in the heart of Tjornin. Interesting that from whatever point of the city did not begin your walk, you will definitely come out to the lake Tjornin.

National Gallery of Iceland, Reykjavik

National Gallery of Iceland

National Gallery of Iceland was founded in October 1884 in Copenhagen Bjorn Bornorsonom. Initially, her collection included works mainly Danish masters. For the public gallery was officially opened in 1951, and ten years later - in 1916, she moved to the disposal of an independent Iceland. The National Gallery of Iceland, a large collection of works by recognized masters of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, both Icelandic and foreign. To date, it has a collection of about ten thousand jobs, many of the exhibits - very expensive gifts from individuals. Here are kept of Karel Appel, Pablo Picasso, Victor Vaasa, Edvard Munch, Richard Serra and Richard Tutte, as well as paintings of famous painters of the country : Johannes Kyarvala, Asgrimura Jonsson and others. A separate department of the National Gallery became the house-museum Asgrima Jonsson - one of the founders of modern Icelandic art. His muse and creativity was the main object of nature, traditional Icelandic landscapes. After the death of all his works the artist bequeathed the Icelandic nation. The gallery consists of seven exhibition halls, located on three floors, as well as artistic shops and cozy cafes. Shop at the gallery is mainly engaged in the promotion of art books, but if you want you can buy works by local artists, jewelry, glassware and ceramics. As a rule, all of copyrights. There is also a research library, which is engaged in research in the field of contemporary Icelandic art. On the ground floor of the museum is equipped training center with access to an electronic database, which has photos and information about all the jobs that are stored in the gallery.

Reykjavik Free Church, Reykjavik

Reykjavik Free Church

Free church was built by the Lutheran community of Reykjavik, which is not part of the state church in Iceland. In connection with this church and was named Free. The Neo-Gothic church was built in 1901 on the shores of Lake Tjornin. Besides architectural value, the Free Church is of great importance as a key member of the independence of the country. Today, the church held worship and celebration. It often hosts concerts, and performed not only organ music, but also jazz, rock, pop and folk music of Iceland.

Reykjavik City Hall, Reykjavik

Reykjavik City Hall

Reykjavik City Hall, located on the shores of Lake Tjornin, in the heart of the city, is one of the important landmarks of modern Iceland. The building was built in 1992 and includes two modern buildings of glass and concrete. At this time the town hall is used primarily as an office building for the mayor and the governing officials of the capital of Iceland. In addition, the City Hall is often used for various cultural events, exhibitions and performances. Every year it is visited by many tourists who want to get an important and informative information about Iceland. The greatest interest among tourists is 3D- map of the country, so its introduction to Reykjavik and Iceland should start is with a visit to the town hall. Simultaneously with the important and informative information here you can relax in an internet cafe overlooking the lake.

building Althingi, Reykjavik

building Althingi

Building Althing - the Icelandic parliament is located in the center of Reykjavik on the square Eysturvetyayur. Literally from the Icelandic language "Althing" translates as General Assembly. Icelandic parliament - one of the oldest in the world. Its first meeting was held in the year 930 on the lake Tingvadlavatn. Then take part in meetings were entitled to all free men. Originally Althingi was taking place not only laws, but also the resolution of disputes. Law is the so-called Logretta, consisting mainly of priests. Some laws passed by the national assembly ancient act in Iceland so far. For example, a horse, exported outside the island can not go back. So decided Icelandic parliamentarians in 982. After the unification of Iceland and Norway Althingi was replaced by a special Supreme Court. Since 1844, with the active participation of politicians and scientists Jouni Sigurdsson it was restored and today sits in Reykjavik. Two-storey building of the Parliament of gray brick decorated with bas-reliefs of spirits - patrons of the country - the dragon, eagle, bull and a giant with a baton. These symbols are also depicted on the emblem of Iceland. The building stands at the hill on which stands a monument Ingolfuru - founder of Reykjavik.

Cathedral Reykjavik, Reykjavik

Cathedral Reykjavik

Reykjavik Cathedral is the main church of the city. Here is the chair of the bishop - the head of the Lutheran community in Iceland. It is located almost in the center of the capital, and locals consider it a symbol of the city. The cathedral was built in 1787 after the earthquake that destroyed many buildings in the religious center of the country - Skalholte. In 1847, the building has undergone a major makeover. At that moment there was a marble baptismal font, made famous sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen Icelandic. Over the past few decades repeatedly reconstructed Cathedral - in 1977, 1985 and 1999 by the architect Thorstein Gunnarsson. As a result, it acquired its present appearance.

Concert hall and conference center "Harp", Reykjavik

Concert hall and conference center "Harp"

Concert hall and conference center "Harp", located in the harbor of Reykjavik, on the border of land and water, is not only the best platform for all kinds of cultural events, but also an outstanding masterpiece of modern architecture. The building was designed by the famous architect and artist Olafur Eliasson, known in Scandinavia as a master of large-scale installations. Concert Hall opened its doors in May 2011 and today is the most visited building in Reykjavik. "Harp" recalls his appearance a huge crystal of irregular shape. Glass walls of the building are decorated in the form of cells, with integrated LEDs that reflect and refract light and create an external beauty amazing play of colors and light. Particularly impressive it looks in the dark. Inside the "Harp" is even more unusual and strange than the outside : transparent walls, windows, curved stairs, ragged floors, glass railings. The building has four concert halls, the largest of which is called Eldborg - an extinct crater. It is decorated in black and red colors, colors that symbolize the volcanic eruption - one of the main elements of the Icelandic nature. In this room, the international congresses, concerts of symphonic music, are the famous bands and musicians from around the world. Three other rooms, the smaller are the names of other natural disasters in Iceland: Northern Lights, Cold Lagoon and calcite crystals. Each of these rooms is decorated in colors corresponding to its name. Besides concert halls, the building has also rooms equipped for meetings, seminars and conferences. Also in "Kharp" located souvenir shops, several designer boutiques, book shops, and floral, a great cafe and a wonderful restaurant with a panoramic view of the Old Port and the historic center of Reykjavik. In 2013, the Concert Hall and Conference Centre "Harp" was awarded by Mies van der Rohe - the most prestigious award in modern European architecture.

Church Landakotskirkya, Reykjavik

Church Landakotskirkya

Landakotskirkya, also known as the Church of Christ, is one of the attractions of Iceland and an outstanding architectural monument. It is located in the western part of Reykjavik, on a hill Landakots. The church is the cathedral of the Catholic Diocese of Reykjavik. It was built by the architect Gudyouna Samuelsson, the man who built the famous Hallgrimskyrkja Church. The church was consecrated July 23, 1929 and became the largest church in the country at that time. Consecration held personally William van Rossum - Cardinal and special envoy of Pope Pius the Eleventh. Construction of the church can be called innovative for its time. It was built of concrete, which is extremely rare for the Gothic structures. The building of the temple many modern elements. Its square tower has a flat top instead of the standard spiers. Inside the church are numerous arches create a unique effect of freedom and longing for the sky. There is a statue of the patron saint of Iceland - St. Torlak. Above the altar is a statue of Christ, looking at the world. It is carved from cedar. The artist was instructed to the statue was not like the others, so the monument is unique. Inside also has a wooden, very exquisitely painted statue of the Virgin Mary holding the baby, it is dated the Fourteenth Century. Particularly noteworthy is the crucifixion of the cathedral and the bishop's chair of carved famous Icelandic sculptor Jonsson. On the outside of the department is a bust of Bishop Meylenberga. Allegedly, it was he who was responsible for the construction of the cathedral. To Landakotskirke attached only active Catholic school in Iceland.

National Museum of Iceland, Reykjavik

National Museum of Iceland

National Museum of Iceland tells the history of the country, covering more than one thousand years, which you can find not only considering the archaeological artifacts, but also with the help of modern multimedia equipment. Among the traditional exhibits of particular interest is a silver sculpture of the god Thor, cast more than a thousand years ago, Viking weapons, the Bible in 1584 and a collection of Icelandic national dress. In addition, the museum has a copy of the fishing schooner, made a life-size reconstruction of rural houses and many other interesting exhibits. The museum's cafe, which is the most expensive in the city, as well as the best in the gift shop.

Perlan, Reykjavik

Perlan

Perlan - the most outstanding and famous building in Reykjavik. This unique structure was built in 1988 on a hill Oskyulid and originally served as the city boiler house. Later on the cylinder, which once stored hot water for heating the city, was built a glass dome, which housed a revolving restaurant with amazing cuisine and a cocktail bar. For two hours, this part of the building makes a full rotation around its axis. At night, the dome is illuminated by thousands of bright lights and looks fascinating. Erected around the dome observation deck on which the panoramic telescopes. Under the dome between the water tanks located so-called winter garden - an exhibition space of approximately ten thousand cubic meters, where concerts, exhibitions and fairs. Inside the building is set artificial geyser that spurts water every few minutes. In one of the former water tanks located Saga Museum, which displays wax figures depicting the life and culture of Icelanders. Near Perlan is an artificial geyser Strokkur, imitating natural geysers, spurting in the mountains in the south- west of the country. And at the foot of the hill on which the Perlan, located Naufolsvik geothermal beach - a popular place to relax on a sunny day.

Iceland's national stadium "Laugardalsvellur", Reykjavik

Iceland's national stadium "Laugardalsvellur"

"Laugardalsvellur" is the national stadium of Iceland. It was built in 1958 and originally had one side platform with wooden benches. During modernization was completed in 1997, another tribune, bringing the stadium's capacity was increased to 15,000 spectators. Over time, the oldest of the stadium turned into a modernized sports complex. It is mostly used for football matches and athletic competition. In sports in stadium concerts of famous pop and rock artists and large-scale exhibitions. In August 2004, the National Stadium Iceland became the arena for the game, which has become legendary for the country. Score was 2 - 0 at the Icelanders vygrali Azzurri. It was an unexpected and long-awaited victory, witness which came more than 20 million viewers - a record number in the history Laugardalsvellura. Nowadays Laugardalsvellur is the home arena of the local football club "Fram" team trains here in Iceland, as well as youth and women's football team. The stadium is very popular among tourists and residents of Reykjavik. From the city center it is only 25 minutes away. Besides, Laugardalsvellur situated in parkland, whose infrastructure is ideal for sports and recreation. There are year-round thermal pool, botanical gardens and even a zoo. Nearby there is an amusement park for the whole family and Asmundura Sveinsson Museum.

© Virtual journeys 2017